Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What can an iPhone with a bad ESN do ?

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,954 Times in 6,529 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You can't flash a CDMA phone to a GSM carrier such as T-Mobile. If the iPhone has a bad ESN that means its blocked. You can't use it, it'll show up as blocked. You can't even activate it to use let alone jailbreak it. Restore is possible yes but it'll always end up unusable bc it's blocked, unable to be activated.
    Sorry, you may be right about tmobile being GSM, but I have a iph4 that has a bad esn and it is jail broken on 5.0.1, I use it with wifi, texting and Internet phone calls at $.01 per minute.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Depends on what country it's from. If it has a bad ESN in the US then it likely won't work in the US. It probably would work outside the US, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Sorry, you may be right about tmobile being GSM, but I have a iph4 that has a bad esn and it is jail broken on 5.0.1, I use it with wifi, texting and Internet phone calls at $.01 per minute.
    You can't flash a CDMA phone to a GSM carrier such as T-Mobile. If the iPhone has a bad ESN that means its blocked. You can't use it, it'll show up as blocked. You can't even activate it to use let alone jailbreak it. Restore is possible yes but it'll always end up unusable bc it's blocked, unable to be activated.
    You're wrong. If the iPhone (or any phone) has a bad ESN you can still use it like a normal phone with all its features. The only thing is you won't activated on the original carrier because the system won't allow it to be registered. But if you manage to unlock the SIM slot in an iPhone 4S (CDMA) from Sprint or Verizon by using third-party tools like Gevey SIM, then you can use that iPhone on any other GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile even if Sprint or Verizon has marked that iPhone with bad ESN. The phone can be used on any other CDMA network only if that network accepts it, even if the phone has a bad ESN. So a phone with a bad ESN is not completely unusable like you say: http://www.mod-gadget.com/what-iphon...n-what-can-do/
    Last edited by cper; 01-04-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks

It's such an ugly thing to say "you're wrong" but hey, why not. You're wrong. I don't think you're understanding the iPhone doesn't work the same way as most phones. But if you insist, I won't argue with you. If you are absolutely so sure, then I'm sure the person asking the question won't mind trusting your word and going to buy a bad ESN phone expecting it to work.

Then again you probably don't care if it actually works out for the person or not because you're on the Internet and you can't be held liable for the person spending a bunch of money on something that you are probably not absolutely sure will work or not.

Just because the CDMA 4S has a SIM slot doesn't mean it works with any GSM network. If it isn't factory unlocked it doesn't work that way. If it isn't factory unlocked the SIM functions only for international use unless otherwise appointed by the carrier.

Edit: assuming the baseband is the one required for a Gevey, but AFAIK CDMA devices don't use the same basebands as GSM devices.

It's such an ugly thing to say "you're wrong" but hey, why not. You're wrong. I don't think you're understanding the iPhone doesn't work the same way as most phones. But if you insist, I won't argue with you. If you are absolutely so sure, then I'm sure the person asking the question won't mind trusting your word and going to buy a bad ESN phone expecting it to work.

Then again you probably don't care if it actually works out for the person or not because you're on the Internet and you can't be held liable for the person spending a bunch of money on something that you are probably not absolutely sure will work or not.

Just because the CDMA 4S has a SIM slot doesn't mean it works with any GSM network. If it isn't factory unlocked it doesn't work that way. If it isn't factory unlocked the SIM functions only for international use unless otherwise appointed by the carrier.

Edit: assuming the baseband is the one required for a Gevey, but AFAIK CDMA devices don't use the same basebands as GSM devices.
    I never said that it will work on US/American GSM carriers if the phone is unlocked by Sprint or Verizon -- that's why I stated if you use third-party tools like the Gevey SIM from Applenberry.

As we know/you know, Sprint and Verizon do unlock iPhone for their good standing customers but the phone will not work with American carriers even of they unlock it, only outside the States. But if you use another tool like R-SIM or Gevey SIM, the phone will work on any GSM carrier including carries here in the States. Those tools also work to unlock the GSM radio or SIM slot found in CDMA iPhone 4S.

But the phone will not be completely useless in the US as you stated before.

Thanks

If it's blocked within a country, it won't be able to be used within that country. That's all I'm saying.

If it's blocked within a country, it won't be able to be used within that country. That's all I'm saying.
    You mean blocked within all carriers in the the country?

It's blocked by one single carrier! Not by one country lol... I can't tell you how many bad esn phones I've used on different US carriers than its native one.

Thanks

It may differ depending on device type. I have had different experiences than you apparently.

...lol.

Yea so instead of telling everyone they are useless as a moderator... Someone that should know what they are talking about... How bout you do your research and search before posting wrong information. Ps take your sarcasm and shove it stop pretending to know about bad ESN iPhones.

Thanks

The information I've gathered is through my own personal experiences and my own research. What you may have found yourself differs from my own discoveries.

I don't mind a difference of opinion, but I do mind that you'd make it a statement that somebody else whose experiences and findings differ from yours are deemed "wrong."

There isn't an absolute on this topic, it depends on device, situation, country, etc. Based on what I said, those are based on my experiences and observations. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it "wrong."

Your defense mechanism to attack me by telling me I'm "wrong" and am "pretending" I know what I'm talking about is certainly understandable. It is after all a defense mechanism. If I offended you in any way, well I apologize. But I won't further argue with you who is right or wrong, you're entitled to your own beliefs and what you want to say. But I definitely would urge you to stay on topic, forum rules. Try not to divert off into personal attacks. A simple "I believe you are incorrect" will do.

If you have any other disagreements with me, say so in a PM. The public forums are meant to answer the topic at hand. In regards to this particular topic, honestly the only way of really knowing the absolute answer is to test the exact inquiry at hand. Some people have differing experiences than others, it isn't quite so black and white like other things. We can say absolutely that a jailbreak is 100% tethered on 5.1 except for old boot devices; but we can't say here that it is absolute 100% that a bad ESN device can or can't do this or that, due to differing experiences and findings.

The information I've gathered is through my own personal experiences and my own research. What you may have found yourself differs from my own discoveries.

I don't mind a difference of opinion, but I do mind that you'd make it a statement that somebody else whose experiences and findings differ from yours are deemed "wrong."

There isn't an absolute on this topic, it depends on device, situation, country, etc. Based on what I said, those are based on my experiences and observations. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it "wrong."

Your defense mechanism to attack me by telling me I'm "wrong" and am "pretending" I know what I'm talking about is certainly understandable. It is after all a defense mechanism. If I offended you in any way, well I apologize. But I won't further argue with you who is right or wrong, you're entitled to your own beliefs and what you want to say. But I definitely would urge you to stay on topic, forum rules. Try not to divert off into personal attacks. A simple "I believe you are incorrect" will do.

If you have any other disagreements with me, say so in a PM. The public forums are meant to answer the topic at hand. In regards to this particular topic, honestly the only way of really knowing the absolute answer is to test the exact inquiry at hand. Some people have differing experiences than others, it isn't quite so black and white like other things. We can say absolutely that a jailbreak is 100% tethered on 5.1 except for old boot devices; but we can't say here that it is absolute 100% that a bad ESN device can or can't do this or that, due to differing experiences and findings.
    Hi iannie,
    Bad esn iphones CAN be flashed to another carrier.any cdma iphone CAN be unlocked/flashed to another carrier but has to be flashed according to the carrier.i have an iphone 4 cdma from sprint that i just recently got flashed over to tmobiles straighttalk, but if i wanted to go over to cricket them theyd have to flash it again to their service and also install a different carrier bundle..not very hard at all.i paid 30$ to flash it over.basically im just telling whoever wants to know that cdma iphone wether they have bad esn or not CAN be flashed/unlocked for another cdma carrier.if anyone has had different findings then their looking in the wrong places,and if others have failed trying to unlock cdma iphones then its ONLY because they did something wrong,not because it differs between device/carrier etc (because it truly does not).each and every iphone can be unlocked.whether its through another carrier flashing/unlocking it or using 3rd party things like gevey for gsm iphones.

*Mod Edit: Please stay on topic of the issue*
    Love when mods ride a high horse and spread terribly wrong info. Bad ESN phones can be flashed to other carriers. This is ABSOLUTE as the vodka I drink.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 04-27-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imprezzivesti View Post
    *Mod Edit: Please stay on topic of the issue*
    Love when mods ride a high horse and spread terribly wrong info. Bad ESN phones can be flashed to other carriers. This is ABSOLUTE as the vodka I drink.
    Absolutely. I'll consider your knowledge of this topic as part of a newly learned experience and that I misunderstood the concepts between a blocked GSM device and a bad ESN device.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_GHOST View Post
    Hi iannie,
    Bad esn iphones CAN be flashed to another carrier.any cdma iphone CAN be unlocked/flashed to another carrier but has to be flashed according to the carrier.i have an iphone 4 cdma from sprint that i just recently got flashed over to tmobiles straighttalk, but if i wanted to go over to cricket them theyd have to flash it again to their service and also install a different carrier bundle..not very hard at all.i paid 30$ to flash it over.basically im just telling whoever wants to know that cdma iphone wether they have bad esn or not CAN be flashed/unlocked for another cdma carrier.if anyone has had different findings then their looking in the wrong places,and if others have failed trying to unlock cdma iphones then its ONLY because they did something wrong,not because it differs between device/carrier etc (because it truly does not).each and every iphone can be unlocked.whether its through another carrier flashing/unlocking it or using 3rd party things like gevey for gsm iphones.
    Thanks for your verification in a well-informed and pleasant explanation. I've understood that my experiences with GSM devices probably won't be replicated by CDMA devices, just as they don't work the same way on a different type of carrier they probably won't work the same way when blocked.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 04-27-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

So what you are saying is that you were wrong about the info that you were giving out, even though many of us tried to give just and useful info. I use my bad ESN phone everyday.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Essentially, I admitted I was confusing two different concepts.

check out my latest post about my solution to flash Sprint iPhone with bad ESN to Page Plus, works with talk text web data mms.
    Video Proof:
    Flash / Activate Sprint iPhone 4 w/ Bad ESN to Page Plus, 100% Works w/ Talk Text WEB MMS DATA - YouTube

my post at this forum:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/jailbreakin...s-w-o-dfs.html

Question iphone 4s verizon bad esn on international gsm networks
    Hi everyone,
    my first post.
    since we are on the topic of bad esns i had a question

if i buy a bad esn phone from ebay with the following specs:

Verizon iphone 4s 32gb with iOS 5.1.1 and use it only on international gsm networks outside the US

Will this work or will it still be locked?

from what i have read in this post there are conflicting views. if i missed anything i apologize in advance.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vahidanwari View Post
    Hi everyone,
    my first post.
    since we are on the topic of bad esns i had a question

if i buy a bad esn phone from ebay with the following specs:

Verizon iphone 4s 32gb with iOS 5.1.1 and use it only on international gsm networks outside the US

Will this work or will it still be locked?

from what i have read in this post there are conflicting views. if i missed anything i apologize in advance.

Thanks
    There really aren't conflicting views, there was 1 person that was confused on the topic. That said...

First, as there are many things that can be done with a phone that has a bad ESN, but you are asking if you can take a CDMA phone with a bad ESN and use it on a GSM network. This is not possible even if the phone had a good ESN. These networks are completely different and one cannot be used on another. You can take a phone with a bad ESN and have it flashed to work on a CDMA network. Unfortunately, if you are taking it internationally, I think most of the world is on GSM while in the US, it is split between the 2.

You also mentioned about it still being locked. Having a locked phone is something altogether different from having a bad ESN.

What you are looking for is an unlocked GSM type phone that has a SIM card in it. Now depending on the baseband, it is possible to unlock a phone through a jailbreak, but I believe that the 4s would have to be factory unlocked. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to unlocking and SIM cards, as I have never had a phone with one. But I have been around enough to understand how they work.

Also be careful, as most of those phones on ebay that advertise a bad ESN are usually stolen.

I hope this answers your question.

Since we are talking about iPhones with bad ESN, can those phones be unlocked and uesd by other carriers like t-mobile?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast