+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon SMS Break-Up?

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
So I noticed this morning that when I send or receive SMS Messages longer than 160 characters, my iPhone 4 breaks them up. My 3Gs on T-Mobile (3.1.3 FW) didn't
    iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon SMS Break-Up?
    So I noticed this morning that when I send or receive SMS Messages longer than 160 characters, my iPhone 4 breaks them up. My 3Gs on T-Mobile (3.1.3 FW) didn't break them up. They always sent and received all as one, no matter how long they were. THis happens using Bite SMS and the default messenger. I'm using FW 4.2.6 BTW and I DO have unlimited text and picture mai on my plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've heard about this problem from a couple of people now, I haven't had it but it's definitely been a problem for people.
    weird...

hope you find a solution!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

R U jailbroke?

Thanks

My 3G on AT&T does this as well. As far as I know it's a provider limitation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firestryke31 View Post
    My 3G on AT&T does this as well. As far as I know it's a provider limitation.
    If I had to guess it is a limitation in place for the sake of the other brands of phones. Imagine getting a 900 character text on a Casio G'zone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Verizon does this on all their phones. Not just the iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandman2 View Post
    R U jailbroke?
    Yes. BiteSMS is only available via Cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
    If I had to guess it is a limitation in place for the sake of the other brands of phones. Imagine getting a 900 character text on a Casio G'zone.
    LMAO Good point. Not everyone has a smartphone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hanoverfiste View Post
    Verizon does this on all their phones. Not just the iPhone.
    So it's a network thing? I've had some people on AT&T have this happen and others on AT&T getting them all as one message, both on iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4s. On T-Mobile, my 3Gs sent and received all as one. I liked it better that way, but I like the iPhone 4 and not having to wait for unlocks or accidentally ubgrading my baseband, so I'll deal with it. I guess if it's more than 160 characters, I should be calling anyway.

I just wonder how long it'll take others to figure this out. That split means people like me who aren't used to it are gonna hit their monthly limit a lot faster than they're used to, and I see some sticker shock coming. Good thing I got mine unlimited!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ASFAIK, whenever a text travels across carriers, it'll be split into separate messages. If it stays within the same carrier, it'll arrive as one text.

As for billing, I think even if a text arrives as one, if it's longer than 160 characters, it might be billed as multiple texts, though I'm not entirely sure on this. I have unlimited so it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm on unlimited too, so I'm ok with it. It's a small sacrifice for all I gained switching from T-Mo/3Gs to ViPhone 4.I'm a happy camper. I just wish they'd come in the right order!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
    Yeah, I'm on unlimited too, so I'm ok with it. It's a small sacrifice for all I gained switching from T-Mo/3Gs to ViPhone 4.I'm a happy camper. I just wish they'd come in the right order!
    Oh yeah, when my friend sends me something that's six texts long (a text that long should be illegal! lol), it takes me like ten minutes, reading through everything twice, then figuring out the order, then rereading it in the correct order lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just got the 4g on vzw after having the 2g on t-mobile. recieved the same text from a friend 7 times in a row with t-mobile??? never had problems with that in a while since all my friends have t-mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I seem to have a problem where I get duplicate texts. I know it's on my side (T-Mobile) because it happens with all my friends, who all have different carriers.