Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlock for metro pcs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default unlock for metro pcs
    Can I now buy Verizon iphone unlock it and get service through metro pcs and use there 4g for unlimited everything $60 a month

You would need to flash the phone to work on another network. The unlocks that are currently out there don't apply to the CDMA iPhone. I am not sure if this is currently being worked on or not. I'm sure there are a few bright hackers somewhere that will eventually figure it out

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

And the iPhone 4 is not 4g capable, so the 4g you would be paying for would be wasted.

This may change at any time, but right now it seems people who've looked into it are having trouble finding a way to enable diag mode on the Verizon iPhone. In a nutshell, diag mode means that you put a CDMA phone into a mode where it shows up on your computer as a virtual serial (COM) port - which allows various PST software to connect and modify the phone's carrier settings. This always requires a manufacturer specific driver to be installed on Windows and sometimes requires a dialer code/menu option/etc. on the phone to enable it. For example, on the HTC Evo, diag mode is enabled by dialing ##3424#.

It's possible that Apple pulled a good ol' security through obscurity here and there simply are no virtual serial port drivers for the Verizon iPhone and no obvious way to enable diag mode. This isn't going to make the phone completely unflashable, it just means that it might be awhile before someone figures out what's going on and codes up their own solution. This really isn't great news for anyone hoping to buy one to reflash it for MetroPCS or Cricket, but it's no surprise since Apple is fairly clear in their feelings towards using an iPhone on an unofficial carrier.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sure steve jobs would **** a brick if he saw an iPhone on cricket.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also adding to the problem is that the iPhone doesn't have CDMA 1700MHz support, so there might be places that the iPhone would be roaming on another carrier. Not all MetroPCS plans offer free roaming, so that might be an issue.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave