+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Hackintosh Illegal?

is a discussion within the

General OSX86 Discussion

forums, a part of the

OS X 86

section;
Hey I am thinking of making a hackintosh, just i need parent approval that it is not illegal and also dont want to be sued So i am asking is
    Thanks

Default Is Hackintosh Illegal?
    Hey I am thinking of making a hackintosh, just i need parent approval that it is not illegal and also dont want to be sued
    So i am asking is hackintosh Illegal?
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Building a computer = legal. Installing a custom modified version of the Apple OS... hmmm.... yeah.... Piracy.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

The satisfaction after your done...........Priceless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Are you going to write them and send pics and video along with your name and SS number or are you just gonna build a dang computer?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

all are true! But I just want to install soMething like leo4allv3 is this illegal?

all are true! But I just want to install soMething like leo4allv3 on a pcs i have is this illegal?

all are true! But I just want to install soMething like leo4allv3 on a pc i have is this illegal?
    Last edited by Mars478; 08-28-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's illegal since you're using a very, very modified version of the OS. I suppose you could buy a copy of the Leopard to give to Apple something.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It is against the EULA to run OSX on non-apple branded hardware. Not that Apple is going to do anything about it.

I would ponder on the legality of downloading a copy of an Operating System that obviously you have not paid for. If you have no reservations about that then where is your concern exactly?

That being said I run several hackintoshes at home. Fun project.

Thanks

dont be cheap buy a mac
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Green Apple
    Thanks

As Rotary said it is: "against the EULA to run OSX on non-apple branded hardware.", but it is not illegal for you to buy and own a copy of OSX. So you have done your part. You can then use your Hackintosh method of choice to install that OS on Non Apple Hardware. Personally it's a fun project, that in the end will yield the satisfaction of a PC on OSX. Lots o Fun! So when the latest version of Pawnage gets released you can run it and update your iPhone without having to wait for the WinPawn equivlent... Who knows after running OSX for some time you might be inclined to go out and buy yourself a real MAC and pay 2 times what you normally would for equivlent hardware (N O T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Enjoy....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Projectile For This Useful Post:

dale1v (08-29-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

so its not as if your gonna go up to el-steve and say "gess what mister i got a pc running mac a and i didnt pay a cent"
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
    dont be cheap buy a mac
    pffft. I prefer the customizability and low cost of my PC components and the benefits of the Mac OS, thanks. I'll buy a MacBook for university, probably.
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 02:41 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (09-13-2008)

Thanks

Hey, I want to build a smart core,....

just kidding..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Teh H4RrY's Avatar
    Thanks

What about my Hackintosh? Windows XP professional Inside a mac G4 Case? hehe

But my copy of XP can be debated for its legitimacy

Everytime you block a Developer's Ads...God kills a kitten...Change the "Hosts" file...Think of the kittens!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey dont you think the stuff HACKING in your name sounds more like you wanna be getting into hacking or soem stuffs like that ?
    i mean like if you wanna join some stuffs witha name , start with a good name , that atleast sounds liek you are into sime legal stuffs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Teh H4RrY's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sayad View Post
    Hey dont you think the stuff HACKING in your name sounds more like you wanna be getting into hacking or soem stuffs like that ?
    i mean like if you wanna join some stuffs witha name , start with a good name , that atleast sounds liek you are into sime legal stuffs.
    Sorry, What?

Everytime you block a Developer's Ads...God kills a kitten...Change the "Hosts" file...Think of the kittens!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, it's illegal. Do I think Apple will ever catch you? No. The only really plausible way that anyone could ever catch you is if someone caught you torrenting one of the modded releases that matched your hardware.
    Now I'm staff on the OSx86 forum (insanelymac.com), and no one has ever said that they've gotten an email from Apple, or been sued or anything like that. If you want to do it? Fine, it'll be hard, but after you get the vanilla kernel up and running, you can even run software updates right from the Software Update application. It's really a lot of fun, but getting it to run for the first time can be time consuming.
    "Now everyone calm the hell down and let me think about how to clean up your mess, while you build me a monument dedicated to how awesome I am."

MacBook Pro + iPhone 3GS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Numberzz For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (09-03-2008)

Thanks

vanilla 9.4, woo!
    Took me ages to get mine running as smoothly as it is now. But boy is it worth the time.
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 08:08 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK the softwares legal if you have a mac (im gunna say any mac) or running on a piece of mac hard ware or if your a mac software developer

Quote Originally Posted by Numberzz View Post
    Yes, it's illegal. Do I think Apple will ever catch you? No. The only really plausible way that anyone could ever catch you is if someone caught you torrenting one of the modded releases that matched your hardware.
    Now I'm staff on the OSx86 forum (insanelymac.com), and no one has ever said that they've gotten an email from Apple, or been sued or anything like that. If you want to do it? Fine, it'll be hard, but after you get the vanilla kernel up and running, you can even run software updates right from the Software Update application. It's really a lot of fun, but getting it to run for the first time can be time consuming.
    thats because jobs would have them so quickly in jail they wouldn't have time to drop a line - or a message
    Last edited by ads1230; 08-29-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    The satisfaction after your done...........Priceless.
    ^^ True Statement...

I Love my hackint0sh, i spent a Full week and a half everyday when i got off working messing with it to get it the way it is now... i still cant get dual monitor support for some strange reason but ill figure it out soon, the Girl was pretty upset that week too haha, but the pay off is well worth it...!! i use my hackint0sh more then i use my windows PC by a large margin, gaming only on the PC, Surfing, designing, work, pretty much everything else besides gaming i do on the hackint0sh...

Quote Originally Posted by ads1230 View Post
    OK the softwares legal if you have a mac (im gunna say any mac) or running on a piece of mac hard ware or if your a mac software developer

thats because jobs would have them so quickly in jail they wouldn't have time to drop a line - or a message

^ but someone would have to know that person... that he so quickly expedited so yeah there would be something posted on the forum.. about someone being hauled off..
    Last edited by the sr5; 08-29-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It Is What It Is...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to the sr5 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (08-29-2008)

Thanks

Yeah, it's illegal, no, nobody will ever sue you ever, in fact nobody will care.
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast