Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Hackintosh Illegal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the sr5 View Post
    ^^ True Statement...

I Love my hackint0sh, i spent a Full week and a half everyday when i got off working messing with it to get it the way it is now... i still cant get dual monitor support for some strange reason but ill figure it out soon, the Girl was pretty upset that week too haha, but the pay off is well worth it...!! i use my hackint0sh more then i use my windows PC by a large margin, gaming only on the PC, Surfing, designing, work, pretty much everything else besides gaming i do on the hackint0sh...
    Gaming is the only thing I go into Windows XP for now.
    My biggest problem was getting QE/CI support on my 7600, and NVKush or NVinject weren't working at all. What I had to do was to make a dump of my gfx card ROM, open a hexadecimal editor, edit a few bytes, and then flash the patched file in DOS to get it working properly. Then I installed NVInstaller v.41. When I rebooted, everything was kosher.
    http://nvinject.free.fr/512Mb.html
    Take a swing at that. (provided your graphics card has 512MB VRAM)
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

I you purchase the OS, then how could it be illegal? against EULA? Probably, but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Unlocking and Jailbreaking the iPhone goes against EULA, but it is not illegal...

Your doing something with an OS that it is not specifically intended to do. Apple will not give you any support, but there are communities online devoted to getting OSX on PC. The only illegal thing would be if you get any copywrited files (read: iTunesMobileDevice.dll) via the web. But even so, no one cares that you are doing this (legally speaking). I bet apple would care even less if you purchased an actual copy of the OS.

Just my $0.02
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I you purchase the OS, then how could it be illegal? against EULA? Probably, but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Unlocking and Jailbreaking the iPhone goes against EULA, but it is not illegal...

Your doing something with an OS that it is not specifically intended to do. Apple will not give you any support, but there are communities online devoted to getting OSX on PC. The only illegal thing would be if you get any copywrited files (read: iTunesMobileDevice.dll) via the web. But even so, no one cares that you are doing this (legally speaking). I bet apple would care even less if you purchased an actual copy of the OS.

Just my $0.02
    This is true, if you Purchase a copy of the OS then install a OSX86 Custom OS then there is no way they can sue you, reason is that even though you dont have a mac hardware machine you still want to use OS X, so you can say you went and purchased it and realized that it didnt work and you just installed another copy from somewhere else this is of course as long as you dont give your purchase copy away and you just keep it for no reason really... just as long as apple gets there money for something i dont think it would really matter

It Is What It Is...

No, you guys don't know anything. It doesn't matter if you've bought 1000 leopard copies, it's still illegal. The End User License Agreement states it can only be installed on authorized machines.

So, just do it and stop caring
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

Thanks

cool thanks everyone! Well I have a copy of 10.4 that came with my old mac that broke, I LOOVed that mac but it died out of warranty . So I have a PC box that I want to install the the mac os on because I am sick of Linux+XP

Quote Originally Posted by MMSiphone View Post
    No, you guys don't know anything. It doesn't matter if you've bought 1000 leopard copies, it's still illegal. The End User License Agreement states it can only be installed on authorized machines.

FAIL

The EULA is not a LAW, it is an 'Agreement'. So then, by your logic, jailbreaking and unlocking are 'illegal' as well?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

I think you put it in the best terms but as far as buying the copy it would make him feel better i guess... haha i dont know... i think the only reason apple would win the fight would be that stupid authorized machines clause...

but yeah MMSiphone is right just stop caring... and do it already

It Is What It Is...

Technically it is law, as it's a contract you make with them when you install. I don't much care for that law and don't follow it, but it is what it is.
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T

should be legal since its a ***** to install.

@h4ry why did you put your ipod and iphone on top of your computer? i dont think anybody cares that you have 2 other apple products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Teh H4RrY's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 View Post

@h4ry why did you put your ipod and iphone on top of your computer? i dont think anybody cares that you have 2 other apple products.
    It was the only picture i had. Thought i would show the only 3 apple products i have

Everytime you block a Developer's Ads...God kills a kitten...Change the "Hosts" file...Think of the kittens!

Illegal? Yes, as many others stated here. As Apple is talking about only "Branded" hardware should run OSX- go do it and when you´re done get yourself some Apple stickers and stick ´em on your PC case :-)
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

Technically it is law, as it's a contract you make with them when you install. I don't much care for that law and don't follow it, but it is what it is.

Again, Agreement != law. Sorry. Are you violating an agreement? Yes, but are you breaking the law? No. those are two separate things. So is it illegal to install OSX on a PC? NO it isn't.

Thanks

haha thats a very good point, we will also have to wait and see where the new lawsuit is going that just popped up a few days ago by pystar? i think was the company cant remember at the moment... but its a lawsuit against apple for monopoly... it has to do with this very subject on how only mac OS can only be installed on they're hardware... i dunno its worth following i guess, if you want to be "Legal" pshh...

It Is What It Is...

Yes it is, even if you own a licensed retail copy it is breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 View Post

What an A-hole.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Banned
    Thanks

Apple shouldnt do a thing about these hackintosh OS's as Apple want people to move from the easily configurable and customizable PC to the locked up tighter than a dolphins butt Mac. If they want more users then let this happen so others can see what MacOSX can do and if they like it they will buy a Mac. I'm on of the users that cant afford an expensive crappy computer that cant do what I want it to do so I wont get one anyway. I'm just a tinkerer of different OS's so I've tried just about all OS's out there and also I'm a gamer so nothing is better than a PC.

So, as for the legality of hackintosh, I think its illegal but they wont stop you as long as you go and buy a Mac or delete it after you've checked it out.

Windows can do a LOT more than a Mac can do but if you want to check out MACOSX without the high price tag then go ahead and install it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Again, Agreement != law. Sorry. Are you violating an agreement? Yes, but are you breaking the law? No. those are two separate things. So is it illegal to install OSX on a PC? NO it isn't.
    You're wrong. It isn't just an agreement. It is a legally binding agreement. Read this. Yes it is Australian. But you can bet that the same general principles will apply to the U.S. too.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Gaming is the only thing I go into Windows XP for now.
    My biggest problem was getting QE/CI support on my 7600, and NVKush or NVinject weren't working at all. What I had to do was to make a dump of my gfx card ROM, open a hexadecimal editor, edit a few bytes, and then flash the patched file in DOS to get it working properly. Then I installed NVInstaller v.41. When I rebooted, everything was kosher.
    NVinject
    Take a swing at that. (provided your graphics card has 512MB VRAM)
    I still use Windows for using my TV card (it's PCI-based) and a few other video/DVD-related things. I am playing one game on my Windows side right now, and this is really ironic, so don't bash me too hard -- Marathon. But it is nice having both operating systems handy on the same machine.

Default Help
    My Hackintosh keeps stalling and a grey screen curtain telling me to hold on to the power button and restart keeps happening.

Can I fix this?

Can I update my Hach OSX leopard?

Hackintosh isn't illegal if you legally purchase a copy of OS X and install it onto your PC, your simply just breaking a EULA which isn't illegal.

However downloading a hacked version of OS X is the same as downloading any OS without paying for it, which is illegal.
    Last edited by ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !; 06-07-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast