+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Legit Iphones in Uk - unlock law. read in.....

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
The iphone legitemately comes to the uk in November. We have a governing body over here called Ofcom who lay down the laws for our phone companies. their website states
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Legit Iphones in Uk - unlock law. read in.....
    The iphone legitemately comes to the uk in November.

We have a governing body over here called Ofcom who lay down the laws for our phone companies.

their website states :

`Whether you are a post-paid (contract) or pre-paid user, you can keep your current mobile phone by requesting that the SIM lock on your mobile to be removed. Usually, mobile service providers require a minimum contract or service period to expire before they unlock your phone.`

This has been the case since day one, after your contract expires the carrier has to unlock your phone.

I wonder how they will go about this? has apple added an unlock feature to the UK version??

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

The CEO of ATT said they would unlock your iPhone after your 2 years was up too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The iphone box clearly states that ATT service will be required to use the phone aspect after the end of the initial contract. I assume this means that they do not plan to unlock since unlocking would mean that you could use it with other providers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah, the US has a similar law, thats why so many people are heated at apple for it
    Really?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

The question is if the providers know how to unlock it without damaging the baseband.... .... HOW do they do it?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    The question is if the providers know how to unlock it without damaging the baseband.... .... HOW do they do it?
    It might be the same way the paid unlocking service does it. If you have any device, all they need is your IMEI number and they can find an unlock code for it. If you try unlocking blackberries or other phones, most paid sites ask for the IMEI number. That is what the paid service asks for and maybe a reason why their unlocking method carries through no matter which firmware you have. It might not be the case because no one really knows how they do it but Im guessing because they ask for an IMEI number, they have found a legit way of doing it.
    Last edited by danman227460; 10-11-2007 at 07:10 PM.