+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Multitasking

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm not sure where to pose this question so I'll start here. In most operating systems (at least those I'm familiar with) there is some way to quickly move from
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Question Multitasking
    I'm not sure where to pose this question so I'll start here. In most operating systems (at least those I'm familiar with) there is some way to quickly move from one previously open task to another. I've used 'dock' and found it useful, but it seems to start another instance of a program rather than switching between previously open programs. Maybe one of you unix guys/gals can explain how multi-tasking works on iphone?

Steve

Thanks

It doesnt. Each application is closed before opening a new one (unless it is specifically written to stay open). The iphone was designed this way to keep speed up, and battery usage down. There is no way to switch from one app to another, without first closing that app and returning to the home screen to launch your second app.

This is also the reason that the apps save the state they were in when the close.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EmoRebellion For This Useful Post:

seh7464 (10-10-2007)

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

the only app u can use while u can do other apps is ipod mod
     Think Different

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aziatiklover For This Useful Post:

seh7464 (10-10-2007)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trent J.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    the only app u can use while u can do other apps is ipod mod
    And that doesnt even work sometimes.. =/
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trent J. For This Useful Post:

seh7464 (10-10-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for relieving my frustration. I knew it had to be some kind of fundamental limitation. Iphone is still a way cool device. Thanks again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just to clarify:

The iPhones' OS is, as advertised, OS X - based on the same OS as Apple desktop PC's. OS X is of course a fully multi-tasking OS.

That said, most "offical" apps, as the previous poster stated, designed to not use system resources when not displayed.

Many things do run in the background - checking email, for example (if you set it to.)

Music will continue to play as you use most other apps.

Also, things run from the command line will continue to run if they are daemons (such as SSHD, the secure shell server) or are NOHUP'ed. (That's a UNIX thing, you either get it or you don't.). An example of this is creating a secure tunnel via the command line, quiting the terminal, and running Safari - the web browser - the secure tunnel will remain active, allowing you to surf securely.)

Short answer is that the iPhone multi-tasks fine when it makes sense to do so.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I suppose just blindly opening apps and expecting to switch between them is an "office environment" luxury that doesn't make a lot of sense on a device with such limited resources but.....limited resources? These tiny devices are packed with power! So why not on some future phone with a souped-up cpu?