+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone cracked screen - should I buy?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My friend is selling his iphone w/cracked screen near the weather line as u can see above for about $175-200. Its a 4gb iphone. Should I buy it and send
    Banned
    Thanks

Default iPhone cracked screen - should I buy?

My friend is selling his iphone w/cracked screen near the weather line as u can see above for about $175-200. Its a 4gb iphone.

Should I buy it and send it to apple to repair, its a really good deal just wondeirng what i can do with it.

and yes the screen touch functions still work.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

how did he crack that? is it unlock? is yes buy it and resell it for more on ebay
     Think Different

Banned
    Thanks

It cracked because it was dropped off my computer desk
    onto it's side. The crack can not be felt, and it is
    not in risk of expanding.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks like it's also been modded.

Apple may not honor the warranty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkandDrive View Post

In order to honor the warranty, Apple I believe would also need a legitimate bill of sale.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkandDrive View Post

Anyway to unmod it? And will a recipt be good enough?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you've read the warranty, apple does not repair phones that have been broken due to an accident, or a drop, or fault of the owner.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ijustin's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple will not replace the screen, and the screen alone is around $130 here is the link:
    http://www.mobilepartstore.com/Merch...tegory_Code=CS

If you bought the phone for $100 it would probably be worth it

or you can buy it and resell it for more
    Last edited by ijustin; 10-09-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by def-one View Post
    If you've read the warranty, apple does not repair phones that have been broken due to an accident, or a drop, or fault of the owner.
    well its not a spiderweb type crack, it looks like kinda screen defect

cant i say that i went on a airplane and due to the presure in cabin the screen cracked? some how bs my way to getting a free repair?

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok heres what ya do, Have your friend restore it to a fresh 1.0.2 then have him call apple and tell them that the iPhone has a poor battery life and it drops calls all the time. They will then send you a box to send it back, they fix and he gets a brand new phone you can buy. They wont care about the crack in the screen because I know from experience when I sent in mine that had a bigger crack than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Ok heres what ya do, Have your friend restore it to a fresh 1.0.2 then have him call apple and tell them that the iPhone has a poor battery life and it drops calls all the time. They will then send you a box to send it back, they fix and he gets a brand new phone you can buy. They wont care about the crack in the screen because I know from experience when I sent in mine that had a bigger crack than yours.
    EDIT, just dont mention there is a crack on the screen when on the phone with apple.
    Last edited by JedixJarf; 10-09-2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got pissed one day at my wife and the dumb a** i am threw my iPhone down in my car. Well it filled the screen with scratches to the point where it was hard to read in some parts of the screen. I called apple and told them i dropped it and it scratched. The guy said i can send it in for repair but there may be charges and Apple will call me if there was going to be a charge. They sent me a loaner iphone for $30 and i sent back my phone. 2 days later there was a brand new iphone on my door step at no charge and the invoice in the box said it was a warranty repair.

So your best bet would be call apple tell them it was dropped and see what they have to say. They will prob ask you to send it in and a tech will call you back if they are going to charge you for the repair. You can say you dont want it fixed and they will send it back.

The great thing about Apple Repair Dept is they always use overnight shipping so the most you will be with out your phone is a week unless you pay the $30 like i did

iPhone? More like MyPhone knowtheobscure's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    I got pissed one day at my wife and the dumb a** i am threw my iPhone down in my car. Well it filled the screen with scratches to the point where it was hard to read in some parts of the screen. I called apple and told them i dropped it and it scratched. The guy said i can send it in for repair but there may be charges and Apple will call me if there was going to be a charge. They sent me a loaner iphone for $30 and i sent back my phone. 2 days later there was a brand new iphone on my door step at no charge and the invoice in the box said it was a warranty repair.

So your best bet would be call apple tell them it was dropped and see what they have to say. They will prob ask you to send it in and a tech will call you back if they are going to charge you for the repair. You can say you dont want it fixed and they will send it back.

The great thing about Apple Repair Dept is they always use overnight shipping so the most you will be with out your phone is a week unless you pay the $30 like i did
    lol Anger management?
    All is... so Accept and Just Be

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post

EDIT, just dont mention there is a crack on the screen when on the phone with apple.

good tips
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will apple still take the phone back if you don't have AT&T service?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The issue with a cracked screen is that even though the touch sensitivity may be fine now, as time passes the fluid component of the screen evaporates at a faster rate than a screen that is not cracked and will eventually hinder the screen useless. The screen component is the most expensive component on the iphone. The phone shown here is a 4gb phone which currently sells for 299. granted the phone is modded and unlocked, this phone should not be considered as a long term use phone. IMO I value the phone at $150+shipping.

Note Apple will replace the screen for about 200 bucks.

P.s. my offer still stands