Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dead strip + unlocked, returnable?

Default dead strip + unlocked, returnable?
    I just got hit with the dead strip on the bottom of my iphone, where it wont' respond to touch. I did unlock it with iUnlock, but I have AT&T as my carrier. If I were to restore it with 1.0.1 or 1.0.2, is there any chance I could get it returned/serviced through apple? As noted, I am still in 1.0.1, and my phone works fine except for the dead strip. What kind of process do they go through? Do they actually upgrade to the newest software in front of you, or do they hand you a new phone on the spot? Should I risk trying to get it serviced or should I just wait until dev team releases a fix?

As far as I know, the touchscreen not working can't be fixed by the dev team. I would recommend restoring (preferably to 1.0.2) and taking it in to the Apple. Not sure what they are gonna do, but there's not much you can.

I have the same problem with my 4GB, I don't have ATT account I use tmobile, I tired downgrade it back to 1.0.2, revirginized, install general.plist, adjust it, nothing will work, I guess this is a common problem and since I don't have a ATT acount I guess nothing much I can do now,

A deadstrip is not a software problem, it's a hardware problem. This is what I did and I suggest you do it also.

When I dropped my phone, it caused a dead strip at the bottom half of the screen so what I did was virginized my phone and then signed up for AT&T service. Once I did that, I took it to Apple and addressed the problem to them and they easily replaced my iPhone with a brand new one immediately without any hassle since it was under warranty. After they replaced it, I waited 14 days and called AT&T and canceled my service with them and now I am back on T-mobile. Since you're already on AT&T, call AT&T after 14 days and say you lost your iPhone and want to go back to your original plan and have your old sim reactivated.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Rick