Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backup and restoring question

Default Backup and restoring question
    I have another iphone 4s on 6.0.1. This one has some 25+ gig of music in it and I don't have the original file of these music in my PC anymore.

If I will backup this phone using iTunes, will my music files be saved?

If yes to the above question and I will upgrade to ios7, will my music be put back into my phone if I will use the restore option in iTunes?

Need some help.

Thanks

iTunes backups don't save music IIRC.

Jailbreak your device (if you haven't done so) and copy the /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control folder from your iPhone to your desktop. Then, move/copy that folder to your syncing computers Automatically Add to iTunes folder (Computer\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Automatically Add to iTunes on Windows, ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes on OS X), which should add the whole thing to iTunes (with all the metadata fields preserved if memory serves), at which point you can sync.

iTunes backups don't save music IIRC.
    Thanks for this idea which lead me to research more on this field. iTunes backup only music which was bought from apple store but not those that were sync to the phone. Unluckily for me, all my music were sync to the phone.

I connected my phone(jailbroken) to my laptop and tried to browse it but all I can see are the pictures. How can I copy this var/mobile/itunes file to my PC?

Google diskaid, it's a browser for your iPhone. It's free too.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

I installed this diskaid and browse its options. There is one option to copy to itunes. I am a noob on this so please pardon me for my noob questions:

Is this "copy to itunes" option going to copy the music on my phone to itunes permanently? If yes, then all I have to do is sync with itunes after the upgrade and my music will be restored to my phone?

If the answer to all the above question is yes, All I have to do is repeat the same procedure to restore my photos to my phone?

EDIT: The music i my phone are in folders like oldies, country, rap and church and some are in the name of the artist, etc. Are these folders going to be restored with its music files?
    Last edited by LoMayoKicksMyA; 11-24-2013 at 02:46 AM.

I'm not that sure on the music options, as I don't use it like that. I just pull entire folders off and store them on my PC and then copy them back in case I need too. This program also has a backup feature too. That might work for you also.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0