+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T just unlocked my iPhone 5S.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I called AT&T today after the website told me that my IMEI number cannot be unlocked. Asked them to unlock my brand new iPhone 5S as I will be traveling
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default AT&T just unlocked my iPhone 5S.
    I called AT&T today after the website told me that my IMEI number cannot be unlocked. Asked them to unlock my brand new iPhone 5S as I will be traveling outside the US next month. I was expecting resistance but the guy on the other side took my IMEI and submitted a request to Apple and they approved it.

I just connected my phone to iTunes and updated. Got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked message".

I have been with AT&T since 2003 (Cingular days). This is my 5th iPhone from them. Other than that, I'm just a regular customer.

Don't know if this is news worthy but I'm sure someone can use the info.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    No one seems to care. Meh.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,711 Times in 4,399 Posts

I'd say you got a very "Lucky" break. It's the rep that didn't know what they were doing. Once the rep hits the button it's not like there's another "approval" process where Apple approves or not. Unlocking is a "carrier's" issue. When "they" (the carrier) approves - they just issue an "order" to Apple to unlock.

So basically - you got lucky. .. Enjoy!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would like to think it is because I am a long time customer. The rep seemed to know what he was doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoti View Post
    I would like to think it is because I am a long time customer. The rep seemed to know what he was doing.
    It's always possible. But I doubt it. Because I've been with them since Cingluar too - and they've refused me twice with a new phone and a mid-contract phone. I even went over the rep's head to a supervisor on my iPhone 5 before a trip to Spain and they flatly refused me.

I repeat.. you got lucky..

But enjoy!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Maybe I did. Someone else should try this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How can they legally refuse to unlock your phone? That's crazy and downright scabby

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    How can they legally refuse to unlock your phone? That's crazy and downright scabby
    There's a very simple answer to your question. If your phone is still in its Two-year contract period, then you DO NOT "OWN" YOUR PHONE! You Are only leasing it from them until the end of the contract period at which time you become the full owner of your phone. The cost to "own" an iPhone is over $500. At that point you will have an unlocked phone that you can do anything you wish with. But when you only pay $99 $199 $299, those are subsidy rates meaning that you're leasing the phone during that period.

This is the most misunderstood topic on the Internet. Please understand you do not own your phone until the end of the two-year period.