+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: restore backup from a device that is jailbroken on my new device or se up as new?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I heard that you shouldn't restore from a backup of a jailbroken device and should instead set up as new device. Is this true? If i set it up as
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question restore backup from a device that is jailbroken on my new device or se up as new?
    I heard that you shouldn't restore from a backup of a jailbroken device and should instead set up as new device. Is this true?

If i set it up as new what is the best way to copy the app data(for example gamesaves) and other stuff?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fruitninja2 View Post
    I heard that you shouldn't restore from a backup of a jailbroken device and should instead set up as new device. Is this true?

If i set it up as new what is the best way to copy the app data(for example gamesaves) and other stuff?
    That would be my advice (always set up your devices as "new" following a restore).

However, that cleanliness and better performance comes at a price: losing all your app data (such as game saves not backed up to iCloud) and SMS/text messages among other things... it's quite the conundrum. Some app data might possibly be manually copied over if you jailbreak your phone after restoring, but it's really a crap shoot at that point.

Thanks

I've had pretty good luck transferring app data with iFunbox. It's free. Just used it to transfer from iPhone 5 to 5s. 99% was fine although I did have a couple apps it didn't work for. Unless your new device is jailbroken, i don't think SMS, call data etc is possible without using some sort of backup/restore util

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boozie View Post
    I've had pretty good luck transferring app data with iFunbox. It's free. Just used it to transfer from iPhone 5 to 5s. 99% was fine although I did have a couple apps it didn't work for. Unless your new device is jailbroken, i don't think SMS, call data etc is possible without using some sort of backup/restore util
    ok thats good info. When i do get jailbroken do you know of any way to transfer sms, camera roll, etc?