Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Documents and Data taking up storage space in Usage.

Default Documents and Data taking up storage space in Usage.
    Hi all,

I've searched for a while, but could not find the answer.

Currently running iphone 5, a1428, iOS 7 beta 5 (I think, but it doesn't matter).

When I plug my iPhone into iTunes and it shows Apps, Music, Pics, etc at the bottom for how much space I have left, there is a dark green-teal bar labelled Documents and Data which takes up 3.45 GB. I'm not too happy about it, and I cannot find a way to get rid of it.

After going to Settings.app -> Usage, It tells me that these 3.45 GBs are coming from Messages. So I can presume that they're saved logs of iMessages. I can delete the actual message, I can delete the messages inside the "conversation", and I can restore my phone, and also update my phone, but they do not go away.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before and found a solution. :wallbas

Thanks,

Backtothebeat.

edit: Also, I use "This Computer" for back-ups, not over iCloud.

Still haven't found an answer. Tried going into where the backups are saved in OS X and delete the ones specified, but nothing cleared. Please help?

Wish there was an answer to this, as I have the exact same problem. I can't even take pics on my phone right now cause there's no storage.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,831 Times in 6,754 Posts

Documents and data should be filled with files from apps. Do you gave any apps that retain lots of files or data?
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

Document & Data on iPhone is junks files including browser history, cookies, logs, caches of photos and videos, database files stored by your apps. You'll notice that some apps while being very small themselves have accumulated a lot of data. An example of this is shown in the image below, you see that the Facebook app is 109 MB whereas the Documents & Data stored is 1.2 GB. This 1.2 GB is what goes into your "Other" data.

These apps on iPhone don't provide a way to delete Documents and Data, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is not the best option here. You can use CleanMyPhone or PhoneClean to delete the documents and data without deleting the app itself.

Resource: How to Delete Documents and Data on iPhone