Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with IPhone 5 AT&T variant with problem with your device message on itunes.

Default Problem with IPhone 5 AT&T variant with problem with your device message on itunes.
    I just purchased this phone from a coworker. She has never jailbroken it or anything of the nature. The phone was working well, then I lose all cell signal. I proceeded to go to apple support forum and it stated to update the firmware. I did by allowing Itunes download the firmware and at the end of the procedure I am greeted with a message saying something is wrong with the device. The tried to do a restore and it didn't help. Same message.

I decided to reinstall the firmware manually and downloaded the correct firmware 5,1 6.1.4. Itunes informs me that I have incompatible firmware. I looked at what itunes had downloaded and it was 5,2. Keep in mind, this is a at&t phone, not a verizon, sprint or t-mobile variant. She even gave the receipt from at&t when she got it back in December.

Why and how would itunes install the wrong version on this phone? Is there a way to force it to install the correct version? I am convinced that is what is causing the "problem with the device" message. Thank you for reading.

Sounds like usb isnt reading the device right
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

To be completely blunt, it wouldn't surprise me if AT&T gave her the wrong model of telephone... or if the box serial number and the one in the device don't match, etc.

What are the last four characters of the phone's serial number, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    To be completely blunt, it wouldn't surprise me if AT&T gave her the wrong model of telephone... or if the box serial number and the one in the device don't match, etc.

What are the last four characters of the phone's serial number, if I may ask?
    DTTP

And thank you both for the replies. I used a brand new cable when I did the upgrade.

Thanks

That's an AT&T iPhone, I do believe... White i5, 16GB?

What's wracking my brain is: I do believe that the report of model number (e.g., iPhone 5,2) is likely correct...

Would you mind opening redsn0w (0.9.15b3), going to Extras -> Even More -> Identify with your iPhone plugged in? Make sure the serial and IMEI match what you think they are/what's printed on the device, as well as "ProductType" and "HardwareID" reporting "iPhone5,1" and "N41AP" respectively.

You are correct. It is a white iphone 5 AT&T.

The serial numbers matches as well as the imei.
    It states it's a as product type iphone 5,2
    The hardware model shows a N42AP

Thanks

...Well then, it looks like there was a serious mix-up at an Apple factory. You have the global model.

I'd restore the 5,2 IPSW and see if that helps the no service issue... but I have to warn you, I don't think that phone will be able to connect to AT&T's LTE (it should connect to 2G/3G though, at least it's physically capable of it).

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by braids View Post
    I just purchased this phone from a coworker. She has never jailbroken it or anything of the nature. The phone was working well, then I lose all cell signal. I proceeded to go to apple support forum and it stated to update the firmware. I did by allowing Itunes download the firmware and at the end of the procedure I am greeted with a message saying something is wrong with the device. The tried to do a restore and it didn't help. Same message.

I decided to reinstall the firmware manually and downloaded the correct firmware 5,1 6.1.4. Itunes informs me that I have incompatible firmware. I looked at what itunes had downloaded and it was 5,2. Keep in mind, this is a at&t phone, not a verizon, sprint or t-mobile variant. She even gave the receipt from at&t when she got it back in December.

Why and how would itunes install the wrong version on this phone? Is there a way to force it to install the correct version? I am convinced that is what is causing the "problem with the device" message. Thank you for reading.
    warranty get a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    ...Well then, it looks like there was a serious mix-up at an Apple factory. You have the global model.

I'd restore the 5,2 IPSW and see if that helps the no service issue... but I have to warn you, I don't think that phone will be able to connect to AT&T's LTE (it should connect to 2G/3G though, at least it's physically capable of it).
    I am going to try to get an appointment with the Apple store. The wild thing to me is the model is a1428, which is the AT&T version. It's like if iTunes read the phone wrong and installed the wrong version since everything about the phone indicates from place of purchase to model number contradicts what software it is installing now. I can't even get it to take my old backup, as if it's from another phone.

Quick question though. I purchased this'd phone from a co worker. Apple states the warranty is still active, which it should since it is less than a year since initial release. Well they give me a problem since it is listed under her name? I asked her previously to unregister it, but I am not certain if she ever did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by braids View Post
    I am going to try to get an appointment with the Apple store. The wild thing to me is the model is a1428, which is the AT&T version. It's like if iTunes read the phone wrong and installed the wrong version since everything about the phone indicates from place of purchase to model number contradicts what software it is installing now. I can't even get it to take my old backup, as if it's from another phone.

Quick question though. I purchased this'd phone from a co worker. Apple states the warranty is still active, which it should since it is less than a year since initial release. Well they give me a problem since it is listed under her name? I asked her previously to unregister it, but I am not certain if she ever did.
    I imagine that for something that is this blatant of a manufacturer defect (i.e., the phone serial and model number printed on the case do not match the phone's internals), they won't worry about the technical owner of the warranty at all, since transferring the warranty with a resale is allowed... unless they gut the thing and find that the logic board was replaced by an unauthorized third-party or something thoroughly (more) bizarre.