+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G hidden partition?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So basically, I plugged the ole' 16 gig 3G into my laptop, and Windows said that I have 14gb free of 28. Now considering its sold as a 16 gig
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G hidden partition?
    So basically, I plugged the ole' 16 gig 3G into my laptop, and Windows said that I have 14gb free of 28.
    Now considering its sold as a 16 gig phone, and gives access to less that that, my mind is kinda blown.

The latest firmware for it, 4.2.1, is only like 400 - 500 megs uncompressed, and its needs some growing room. I figured it would need 2, maybe 3 gigs max just as a system partition. But definitely not a whole 14 gigs.

Can anyone give me some insight? Why this phone has 28 gigs, is advertised as 16, and lets me use 14.

If I can get access to the full 28 gigs, it would be a handy external hard drive.
    Heres a picture for proof. If anyone cares.
    iPhone 3G hidden partition?-capture.png

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

Uh, if you bought a 16gb iPhone 14gb free sounds about right. Don't know why that 28 gb is showing up, sounds like a windows glitch to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I know the 14 sounds right. But the 28 is what gets me. I guess I'll plug into a friends computer. Although I doubt its a glitch. My 16 gig iPhone 4 says 13.7 out 16.

iPhone 3G hidden partition?-capture.png

Different computer. Same result. Has to be the phone.
    Last edited by SawyerBenjamin; 06-13-2013 at 11:13 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you check it out with iTunes?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah. It just just tells me how much is free out of 14gb.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

When you open iTunes, click on device and scroll down to see the horizontal bar, you should see everything. And BTW, that should be right. 2 GB is the partition for IOS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As I stated in a previous post, iTunes only tells me how much is free out of 14 gb.
    And I get that its normal to have 14 out of 16gb available due to a system partition. Im just curious as to why Windows is saying that theres a total of 28 gigs on the device.

My only guess is that its a 32gb model and Apple partitioned off half of the memory and it was sold as a 16 gb model. Because if Im correct, 32 gb models only allow you 28gb. Unless someone else has a better guess?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerBenjamin View Post
    As I stated in a previous post, iTunes only tells me how much is free out of 14 gb.
    And I get that its normal to have 14 out of 16gb available due to a system partition. Im just curious as to why Windows is saying that theres a total of 28 gigs on the device.

My only guess is that its a 32gb model and Apple partitioned off half of the memory and it was sold as a 16 gb model. Because if Im correct, 32 gb models only allow you 28gb. Unless someone else has a better guess?
    I'm guessing a Windows glitch myself... I don't think it's likely you have a 32GB iPhone, as the 3G was never manufactured with a 32GB capacity.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You're probably right about the capacity. I just assumed. But as I posted earlier, two different computers showed that it has 28 gigs. So it has to be something to do with the device.