Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Need help to revive 3GS

  1. #1
    Default [RESOLVED] - Need help to revive 3GS
    Hello everyone.

    I have a problem and hope that you will be able to help me with my predicament.

    I recently have bought a secondhand 3GS with iOS 4.3.3 version. Before doing anything, I had used iFaith to dump my SHSH blobs. Unfortunately I wasnt able to due to a n88ap error. Since I have jailbroken a couple of 3GS and I have a list of apps that I deemed safe to install, I shouldnt have any issue. I proceeded to jailbreak. No issue there.

    However I decided to try out Springtomize and after respringing, I couldnt find my Settings app. I thought it was a Springtomize issue and proceeded to remove/re-installing it, still no Settings. To cut the story short, I found that the Settings icon has moved itself to a third page by itself. *sheepish*. Then I decided to perform some more tweaking. I saved Springboard.app from Core Services onto my laptop, and proceeded to remove some of the unnecessary .png. I did notice that some of the .png files have strange symbols in them... for example: SwitcherIconShadow~iphone.png. I thought these were changes made by Springtomize. However I have undone the settings changes in Springtomize. At this point, I was still able to access the iPhone until I decided to reboot. Now I am stuck in the apple logo screen.

    As I thought I may have corrupted some files, I transferred the saved SpringBoard.app folder over to the phone via SSH. I also changed the com.apple.SystemPowerProfiledefaults.plist but have reverted the change.

    I really do not want to restore to the latest version, and would like to stay at 4.3.3.

    Can anyone help me?

    Thank you.
    Last edited by tchgrl; 06-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,740
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 624 Times in 551 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tchgrl View Post
    Hello everyone.

    I have a problem and hope that you will be able to help me with my predicament.

    I recently have bought a secondhand 3GS with iOS 4.3.3 version. Before doing anything, I had used iFaith to dump my SHSH blobs. Unfortunately I wasnt able to due to a n88ap error. Since I have jailbroken a couple of 3GS and I have a list of apps that I deemed safe to install, I shouldnt have any issue. I proceeded to jailbreak. No issue there.

    However I decided to try out Springtomize and after respringing, I couldnt find my Settings app. I thought it was a Springtomize issue and proceeded to remove/re-installing it, still no Settings. To cut the story short, I found that the Settings icon has moved itself to a third page by itself. *sheepish*. Then I decided to perform some more tweaking. I saved Springboard.app from Core Services onto my laptop, and proceeded to remove some of the unnecessary .png. I did notice that some of the .png files have strange symbols in them... for example: SwitcherIconShadow~iphone.png. I thought these were changes made by Springtomize. However I have undone the settings changes in Springtomize. At this point, I was still able to access the iPhone until I decided to reboot. Now I am stuck in the apple logo screen.

    As I thought I may have corrupted some files, I transferred the saved SpringBoard.app folder over to the phone via SSH. I also changed the com.apple.SystemPowerProfiledefaults.plist but have reverted the change.

    I really do not want to restore to the latest version, and would like to stay at 4.3.3.

    Can anyone help me?

    Thank you.
    You have SSH access, correct?

    Start by trying a simple "reboot" command as root, or hold the "Volume Up" key as the device boots (to enter Safe Mode if MobileSubstrate is installed). Sometimes, that's all it takes. However, if the device is hanging on boot-up and not rebooting infinitely, that probably won't help too much. Messing with system files, even if they get reverted later, can still screw the filesystem up...

    If push comes to shove, that device /should/ be eligible to restore at iOS 4.1 as well as the current (6.1.3). The former will require a custom firmware cooked up by a program like sn0wbreeze. On a flyer, do you know what iteration of bootrom your device has (quick-and-dirty check: if your phone's serial number starts with anything between xx920... and xx945..., there's a good chance you have the "old" and more-desirable version. Anything else, you probably have the "new" and less-desirable but still workable bootrom)?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You have SSH access, correct?

    Start by trying a simple "reboot" command as root, or hold the "Volume Up" key as the device boots (to enter Safe Mode if MobileSubstrate is installed). Sometimes, that's all it takes. However, if the device is hanging on boot-up and not rebooting infinitely, that probably won't help too much. Messing with system files, even if they get reverted later, can still screw the filesystem up...
    I did try this before but didnt work.

  4. #4
    Sigh...no joy yet...

    From what i read on some other threads, it seems that if I get someone with a 4.3.3 3GS and replace the Springboard.plist files, I may have a shot at booting it up?

    Im able to connect to the 3GS with iFUNBOX and see my apps there....its a case of so-near-but-yet-so-far!

    There's anomaly here when the 3GS is connected. Look at the storage size:
    -untitled.png
    Last edited by tchgrl; 05-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.

  5. #5
    I would help you if my iPhone were JBed but have been ok to keep it factory so far. Perhaps you could gain some karma by helping me. I have been trying to get the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 but no servers have them anymore and the iFaith software didn't work for me either (due to error n88ap). Could you perhaps pm me to discuss how I could obtain those files?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,740
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 624 Times in 551 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by poushag View Post
    I would help you if my iPhone were JBed but have been ok to keep it factory so far. Perhaps you could gain some karma by helping me. I have been trying to get the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 but no servers have them anymore and the iFaith software didn't work for me either (due to error n88ap). Could you perhaps pm me to discuss how I could obtain those files?

    Thanks.
    Long story short, if Cydia doesn't have your SHSH blobs and neither redsn0w nor iFaith can fetch them off of your device, then you can't get them.

  7. #7
    Another person from another forum has suggested that I use redsn0w to fetch and saved the blobs by going to Extras > SHSH blobs > Fetch to save your 4.3.3 blobs, then use Extras > SHSH blobs > Stitch to make a stitched IPSW, then restore to it from pwned DFU mode.

    However after going through the fetch step, the shsh blob saved is a partially.plist although redsn0w did indicate a success in pulling blobs from my device. I am going to try to stitch and see if I can restore it this way. But I havent had time to do it yet.

    Can anyone enlighten why poushag and I have this n88ap error when trying to dump our 4.3.3 shsh blobs using iFaith?

  8. #8
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,740
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 624 Times in 551 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tchgrl View Post
    Another person from another forum has suggested that I use redsn0w to fetch and saved the blobs by going to Extras > SHSH blobs > Fetch to save your 4.3.3 blobs, then use Extras > SHSH blobs > Stitch to make a stitched IPSW, then restore to it from pwned DFU mode.

    However after going through the fetch step, the shsh blob saved is a partially.plist although redsn0w did indicate a success in pulling blobs from my device. I am going to try to stitch and see if I can restore it this way. But I havent had time to do it yet.

    Can anyone enlighten why poushag and I have this n88ap error when trying to dump our 4.3.3 shsh blobs using iFaith?
    Did your 3GS come with (either new or on the device as a refurbished unit) iOS 4.3.3 installed? That's all I can think of, barring an iFaith coding issue.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •