Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tips for moving to Android, particularly iCloud.

Default Tips for moving to Android, particularly iCloud.
    Well, as its clear that the new iPhone due this year won't be a new iPhone at all but simple a slightly improved version of the present model, I've decided to leave Cook and the Apple gang in 2011 and jump into 2013 with a move to Android. For my first dip into modern design smartphones I've decided on the Nexus 4.

Initially I'll only be moving over to the platform on my work phone so I'm curious about my syncing options regards iCloud. Does anyone know/have experience of syncing the two platforms? As iCloud is now as flakey as MobileMe/.Mac would I be better dropping iCloud altogether and moving all syncing to Google?

Views and comments welcome.

Jesus, that was painful. The Nexus 4 is an awesome bit of kit, knocks the iPhone out of the park. But Android? Painful.

Back to my iPhones, eaten some humble pie and quite content with a small screen!

You'll basically have to log onto icloud fom your computer and download a backup of your information, then upload it to the corresponding google service. My most important need was for contacts, so just uploading the address book file to google contacts was simple. From there I'd just use gmail, as the android gets all it's sync information by default from your gmail account.

The benefit I've realized is Google doesn't mind letting Apple using their services on iPhone (gmail contacts, google music etc. still sync on iPhone when configured) but Apple doesn't allow google access to their services. (If you lose your iPhone, and your friend next to you has an android, apple doesn't allow non apple devices onto icloud.com to use find my iPhone)

It's actually really easy to get Android to sync with iCloud, just install smooth sync. There are two versions and once installed most will sync fine.

It was the rest of Android I couldn't get along with. It's a lovely OS but nowhere near as polished or well thought out as iOS.

Most interesting was experiencing a bigger screen which I found had more drawbacks than advantages!

I've gained a lot more respect for iOS and the thought that has gone into the iPhone after my flirtation with Android, and I certainly won't be changing again. Any time soon.