+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Iphone Noob] Getting my Iphone 4 to use the network ...

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, I really hope someone could help as I am new to all the iphone modding world. I bought an Iphone 4 from my uncle who lives in Sweden
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default [Iphone Noob] Getting my Iphone 4 to use the network ...
    Hello everyone,

I really hope someone could help as I am new to all the iphone modding world.

I bought an Iphone 4 from my uncle who lives in Sweden and I intend to use it in Turkey. However, due to Turkish regulations, I had to register the IEMI at the Turkish telecommunication office for the phone 'supposedly' to work on their networks. Before I did so, however, I was messing around with iTunes and updated my ios to 6.1.2 without knowing its side effects.

Later, and due to the Apple's policy with apps, a friend helped install a program called 'jailbreak' and 'cydia' on my phone. All this happened before going to the government office and register my IEMI.

Few days after registration, I went on to buy a SIM card from a Turkish carrier called Turkcell. They said it would take around two weeks for the phone to be activated but sadly, it did not. The SIM card I received works on other phones but not on my Iphone 4. It shows 'no service' all the time. Turkcell support had no clue. So I had to browse the net and it turned out I have to learn a whole new course on programs like redsnow and ultrasnow..etc. in order to 'possibly get the phone to use on the netwrok.

I do not want to mess up my phone and I do not know where to start as there are many manyyy things to learn. Tethering, unlocking, hacktivation, baseband..etc. I really would appreciate anyone who could help set me on the right track to try to get the phone working here.

Thanks a lot in advance

Thanks
    Is the iPhone unlocked.
    It must be unlocked to work in another country to carrier.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abraam2121 View Post
    Is the iPhone unlocked.
    It must be unlocked to work in another country to carrier.
    The phone was working before in Sweden but it is not working here in Turkey. I am not quite sure how to unlock the phone correctly. But What I found on the net is that I need a program called Ultrasnow from Cydia. I tried it but it didn't work. I searched a little on the net just to find that ultrasnow does not support modern firmware 4.12.05. Any suggesstions?

Also, I want to ask, would jailbreaking affect the phone's usage over a network carrier?

Thanks
    The data shouldnt be affected unless you download a tweak from cydia that uses up your data. You will need to factory unlock your iphone 4 for it to work in your current country and carrier.
    Ultrasn0w will not work for you!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abraam2121 View Post
    The data shouldnt be affected unless you download a tweak from cydia that uses up your data. You will need to factory unlock your iphone 4 for it to work in your current country and carrier.
    Ultrasn0w will not work for you!!

Thanks a lot for the quick answer abraam ..Bad news for me then (( ...

But I want to know how this happened? Was it because I updated my ios to 6.1.2 ? which updated the Baseband thing? Or was it something else totally? What could be the tweak that might affect the carrier?

Thanks
    Updating the device caused the baseband to be updated and therefore untrasn0w couldn't have unlocked your device. A factory unlock will do the trick for you.
    You are very welcome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How much does a factory unlock cost and how can I be sure it would unlock my phone in Turkey?

Thanks
    A factory unlock costs around $10-$20
    Make sure you get it from a legit place cause there are a lot of scammers.
    A factory unlock lets your phone be used in any country or any gsm carrier.
    I remember reading a post about someone on modmyi that does factory unlocks for around $15. I will look for it and post back.

Special thanks Blkcadi's post from another topic on the forum

At&t Unlocks for sale From your Fav. MMi Mod!

There is the link
    Best of luck
    Last edited by abraam2121; 04-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abraam2121 For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (04-05-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your help abraam. That cleared up many things for me.. ..great help

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Be careful where you pay for the unlocking. The link in post #8 is for an iPhone locked on AT&T in the USA. Since your uncle was using it in Sweden, it's locked to a gsm carrier there. A lot of these services will not offer a refund if your iPhone is not locked by the carrier that that they can't unlock. Thus, the burden is upon you to pick the right people... So, make sure they can do it before paying.

First, you need to find out "exactly" which carrier the iPhone is locked to. Then, find an unlocking service that can unlock the iPhone on that particular carrier. applenberry.com can unlock quite a few international carriers, you may want to check there. Good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    Be careful where you pay for the unlocking. The link in post #8 is for an iPhone locked on AT&T in the USA. Since your uncle was using it in Sweden, it's locked to a gsm carrier there. A lot of these services will not offer a refund if your iPhone is not locked by the carrier that that they can't unlock. Thus, the burden is upon you to pick the right people... So, make sure they can do it before paying.

First, you need to find out "exactly" which carrier the iPhone is locked to. Then, find an unlocking service that can unlock the iPhone on that particular carrier. applenberry.com can unlock quite a few international carriers, you may want to check there. Good luck
    This means that it is not enough that I factory unlock my phone here ( if I could anyway) . I also have to check with the GSM carrier in Sweden who might have locked my phone for usage solely in their country??

Thanks

Unlocking the phone from Sweden could be very expensive, so be careful. As far as I know, more than 100 EURO. But as above, first you need to check exactly, to which carrier is the phone locked.
    By the way, when did you update your IOS to 6.1.2?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I updated to IOS 6.1.2 about 1 month ago..beginning of March or so..

Thanks

OK, I was just wondering.....in any case, you have to check first the original carrier.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

1. You must find out exactly which carrier is the iphone locked to (most likely is a carrier in Sweden because your uncle used it there)
    2. Find an IMEI unlocking service that can unlock the carrier (applenberry.com listed a Sweden unlocking service for $170). You may want to search for other cheaper services. But make sure they are legitimate.

After that, you can you the iphone with any gsm carrier worldwide.... 8-)) Good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

alright guys..thanks everyone for your information and help..it has been great.. but just wondering...can't I downgrade the baseband to a lower version or something?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No, there are no tools to do that for iPhone 4. Also, you can't use gevey SIM either because you made a restore to 6.1.2. The only available option for you is IMEI unlock.

You may ask your uncle to call the carrier to unlock (I'm assuming he is the original owner). Some carrier in Europe would do it for a small fee ($20). It's worth a try. Good luck...