+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 recognize/modify incoming numbers

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I've been googling for a while already but I have a very specific problem and can't seem to find anything. Perhaps you guys can help me find a decent
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 5 recognize/modify incoming numbers
    Hello,

I've been googling for a while already but I have a very specific problem and can't seem to find anything. Perhaps you guys can help me find a decent workaround.

I'm currently using my iPhone with a paid subscription from my employer however work/private use are separated (split bill). To indicate that I'm calling or texting a private number, I have to add a 2 in front of the number. My carrier then recognizes the 2 and bills it separately for private use. No problem here, this works fine.

To make life easier, I updated all the numbers of my private contacts with a 2 in my address book. Unfortunately this is where the problem lies. Everything still works fine however when I receive a call or a text, the number isn't recognize anymore (which is kinda logical as the incoming number will NOT have a 2 in front).

I did not have this problem on my previous Android, for some reason Android properly identified the number. Does anybody know a solution for this, perhaps even a (jailbroken) app or anything? It's really bothering me at the moment and creating double entries for each private number isn't an option either as the phone will still not recognize the number with text messages.

I would be forever in your debt!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Assign the contact to the actual number? Say for instance

Jane is a work colleague.

Her number is 0734567890

I save her in my contacts as

Work - 20734567890
    AND
    Mobile - 0734567890

That way when she calls. It displays her name. When i text her i use the number starting 2.

Not that hard is it?

If you have a contact you text/call both ways. Save it as one contact and start a convo on the work/personal side!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jammmyb View Post
    That does indeed work for calling however it doesn't for texting. When you send a text to the +2 number and you get a message back, it will register in a new conversation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So you're saying that by having the number saved twice.

Once with +2 and second just plain number.

When you text out on +2 convo. You get a reply in a new convo from the standard number?

What happens when number isn't saved except for +2 one? All into one convo or still splits?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So you're saying that by having the number saved twice.

Once with +2 and second just plain number.

When you text out on +2 convo. You get a reply in a new convo from the standard number?
    Yes exactly, not very practical either. It will register under the same name but it will start a new conversation. ( So I will have 2 messages both addressed to the same name )

What happens when number isn't saved except for +2 one? All into one convo or still splits?
    The message I receive will be an unknown number because it isn't recognized in my address book.

It's kind of ridiculous how something so stupid, could be so annoyingly unusable.
    Last edited by Prime-Omega; 03-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone any solutions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there perhaps an app that anybody knows of that modifies the calling behavior or the address book of the iPhone? Anything that might be even remotely helpful is welcome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe try posting on the apple support forums? Surely you're not alone in this?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe try posting on the apple support forums? Surely you're not alone in this?!
    I did already but still got no response after 2 bumps. I even called my provider and apple support, both blamed the problem on each other off course and nobody had a solution.

I asked around at work but nobody had a solution either, most of them just got 2 different phones to solve the problem. But I would really like to stick to 1 phone, getting another subscription would cost me €180/$230 yearly.