Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does the new law after Jan 26 applies to me?

Default Does the new law after Jan 26 applies to me?
    I just bought today a used iPhone 4s(AT&T). The original owner bought this phone last year(2012).

Does the illegal unlocking for the phones bought after Jan 26 applies to me?

Please advise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If the device was manufactured after 1/26/13 then it is illegal. I am not sure if the serial number method of checking the manufacture date applies to the 4S. I certainly hope someone can answer that much for you, as I apologize I cannot.

Edit: Although, since you said the owner but this device last year in 2012, it is likely not manufactured after Jan. 26, 2013. So it is likely that you can unlock that device.

So, it is the manufacturing date that matters and not the date of purchase?

This link tells me that it is the date of purchase but now I am thinking that this is misinformation: .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You could be right. I never really paid attention to the wording. Different sources say different things. The majority seem to say purchase date rather than manufacture date. I will have to look into this for a more definitive answer. Regardless your iphone is fine considering it was purchased in 2012 anyhow.

Edit: I might've been referencing to an older article. It seems most articles state it is purchase date. It is safe to assume that any iPhone purchased after Jan. 26, 2013 is not eligible to be unlocked aside from by carriers, and not relevant to manufacture date.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 03-05-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Thank you for the help.

EDIT:
    Regardless your iphone is fine considering it was purchased in 2012 anyhow.
    So, the law can't be applied to the new owner of a used phone that bought the used phone after Jan 26 because the phone was originally bought before Jan 26????

Just wanna make sure that I am interpreting this right hehehe..
    Last edited by LoMayoKicksMyA; 03-05-2013 at 01:59 AM.

So it is likely that you can unlock that device.

A few more confirmation from you guys and I will do it.

BTW, can SAM unlock do the unlock job on this one? 4s V6.1.2

Is there any known unlock that will work on this phone? I just finish jaibreaking it using evasi0n and everything went smoothly.

Only imei unlocks work no free ones