Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VIBER crashing on iP4 with evasi0n

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default VIBER crashing on iP4 with evasi0n
    I have an iP4, IOS 6.1 and jailbroken, set up as new phone, things ran well. Used VIBER without problem for a couple days, then...yesterday, VIBER sent me 2 unsolicited "stickers"

Since then, VIBER open and then in 4-5 seconds closes back to springboard. This happens on both 3G and WiFi. Here is what I have tried to fix it:

1. Uninstalled VIBER using itunes (found out that when you uninstall it by "X"ing it on iP4, that the files remain on the phone even though the icon is gone, and it still loads into memory...Reinstalled Viber, still crashes same way

2. Cleaned phone with icleaner, no change

3. Posted on Apple forum about this (big mistake was balled out by the jailbreak police), no replies

4. Emailed VIBER help..their reply "we don't support jailbroken iphones"...no help at all

Anyone else with this problem and any ideas to solve it?

Yes, my phone is modded, but not lots of extra stuff on it, 3g unrestrictor, tether me, tap to unlock, TV tube, and the usual.

Any ideas forum? Thanks

Having the same problems on iP5 with iOS 6.1 with Viber & Skype. All was good until two days ago and receipt of the Valentine's Day message. Restored phone and everything works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is an update...I also restored my phone and rejailbroke it. Then added cydia apps one at a time..and the culprit was 3GUnrestrictor...I took it off, put it on etc...and skype/viber crashed with it on and works fine with it off. I emailed the developer (yes, I have the latest version).....at least it seems to be the problem app

On my iPad, Skype works and have 3G Unrestrictor. .??

I too toggled 3G Urestrictor and can confirm that it is the culprit. Skype and Viber crash with it on and not with it off. Google Voice, Tango, and Jahjah seem unaffected.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Hi there,
    This is a member of the Viber R&D team.

@jsjb100 - Viber indeed doesn't support jailbroken devices. :/
    However, it should generally work fine. Which Viber version do you have?
    We are working on updates continuously, please try our next version and hopefully it will work better for you.

Thanks,
    Viber Team

Hi there Viber-person-- thanks for monitoring these posts (for two years!) even if you can't support jailbroken devices. I think the problem is actually with 3g Unrestrictor. I had an interesting experience yesterday that is still giving my phone problems. My evidence is only anecdotal, but in the FWIW category, here is what happened: I got a push notification that a friend had joined Viber and that I could now call her for free. I swiped the notification from my lockscreen, which normally takes you right to the app in question, and my Springboard crashed. (3G Unrestrictor was active.) I didn't think anything of it and stuck my phone back in my pocket. Some time passed (no more than two hours), and the next time I checked my phone, it was warm and the battery was drained (8% versus ~87% a mere two hours earlier). I charged it overnight as usual, and this morning the battery was at 100%, as usual, but again, a mere few hours later, my battery had drained precipitously. I have since recharged my phone and uninstalled 3G Unrestrictor. It is too soon to tell definitively, but it appears as though the battery problem has been solved. I'll report back with long-term results, but I think the combination of Viber and 3G kept the 3G radio active the whole time and not in the normal suspended state of Viber when it is backgrounded.

And by the way, Viber works just great on a jailbroken phone, and not too badly on a jailbroken iPad.
    Last edited by Amadomon; 02-19-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks for this elaborate explanation!
    We will check this issue, and see if this is a repeated problem with our users. Now we will know what to direct their attention to.

Thanks again, and keep enjoying Viber