+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Damaged iPhone 5 LCD won't turn on - Help from people with hardware experience?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so I got an iphone 5 from a friend that fell into a lake with his iphone 5... I bought it from him a few weeks after the incident
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Question Water Damaged iPhone 5 LCD won't turn on - Help from people with hardware experience?
    Ok so I got an iphone 5 from a friend that fell into a lake with his iphone 5... I bought it from him a few weeks after the incident happened, so I knew there was gonna be some corrosion on the inside of the phone and possibly some damaged parts. I took it apart and cleaned everything with alcohol 91% and let the logic board soak in the alcohol for 3 separate sessions for a total of about 8 hours.

After cleaning it, I noticed that one of the pins on the logicboard's Digitizer connector was rusted. I put the phone back together and oddly, the LCD is the one that doesn't work and for some reason it also gives me an error when connecting to the computer... But the digitizer, sounds, and vibrate functions work, so I know the phone isn't completely dead.

I guess my question is, is there any way to repair the logicboard or do you think its the screen assembly? Should I just sell it? Could it be the battery not giving enough power?

Here's a pic of the LCD and Digitizer connectors on the logicboard.
    Water Damaged iPhone 5 LCD won't turn on - Help from people with hardware experience?-image.jpeg
    Last edited by xxCARLOSxx; 01-24-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Okay I for one will not tolerate scamming Apple for personal gain.

As for the logic board and LCD issue I would say good chance the LCD of it got dropped in the lake is probably fried I bet if you tried a new front assembly good chance it would probably work.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post

As for the logic board and LCD issue I would say good chance the LCD of it got dropped in the lake is probably fried I bet if you tried a new front assembly good chance it would probably work.
    Sorry about the apple thing, I edited the first post.

I can't believe those screens cost around $200 though... I think I'm better off just selling it on ebay. I've seen some go for around $450 with water damage. Is there any way to repair the screen assembly?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Not without just replacing the whole thing. Do some digging you can find them for 145 from some places there out there or maybe find a used one for cheap
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Not without just replacing the whole thing. Do some digging you can find them for 145 from some places there out there or maybe find a used one for cheap
    The thing is that I've spent around $200 on it already and I can sell it for $400-$450 as-is on ebay. If I spend $150 for a working screen and sell it for $500-$550, I wont be making as much money... Plus I don't even know if it'll work

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pacosarae View Post
    Okay so now we know you can copy/paste what Cowboy said. Congrats!

I already erased the comment so idk what the big deal is. I'm gonna sell it on ebay if I can't fix it.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,194 Times in 6,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxCARLOSxx View Post
    Okay so now we know you can copy/paste what Cowboy said. Congrats!

I already erased the comment so idk what the big deal is. I'm gonna sell it on ebay if I can't fix it.
    Was a spammer