+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting the most battery life out of iPhone 5 withough crippling it

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Moderators - please put this thread wherever you think it most helpful. At one time or another we've all struggled with battery life issues on our phones. The 4S was
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,984 Times in 4,506 Posts

Default Getting the most battery life out of iPhone 5 withough crippling it
    Moderators - please put this thread wherever you think it most helpful.

At one time or another we've all struggled with battery life issues on our phones. The 4S was pretty much a disaster for most and yet others had no problem of any kind. The iP5 has not been without its battery life issues too. In the final analysis the reason for such varied experience in battery life on any SmartPhone is for the most part, if not all, about usage and what settings you need on.

Now I have never been a fan of 'crippling' the iPhone in preferences (turning off PUSH, screen so dim you can barely see it) so that it's almost not a cool iPhone anymore. All of us can achieve greater battery life if we 'cripple' our phones. But in a recent thread I was asking our awesome newsman, Anthony Bouchard, for his experience with his iP5 after having poor battery life issues to start, on 6.0.1 and after moving to 6.0.2 it getting worse - which I was reading was a pretty universal problem being reported EVEN THOUGH 6.0.2 was supposed to address some of the complaints about battery life. Anthony posted AMAZING results for battery - pretty close to Apple's promised battery life lengths - yet the rest of us were not anywhere close to his results (I'll edit to post his results).

Several of us 'confidently' (but possibly wrongly) concluded that Anthony was just listening to music all day or being a very LITE user. Well - then I asked him to write down for us his settings as well as he could account for most of them. When I tried them myself yesterday - my battery life DRAMATICALLY changed. So I though I'd post Anthony's suggestions for iP5 great battery life and a few things I modified. And ask the community here to let us know if they're getting similar results when using these good general settings.

Anthony's original list:
    • Leave PUSH on - but set any non immediate need mail accounts to FETCH every 15min
    • I leave LTE enabled (and have 3-4 bars constantly)
    • Brightness at a comfortable 1/4 slider (Auto on)
    • Wi-Fi throughout much of the day, LTE when away from home
    • Notifications for social networking apps only (Phone, Messages, Twitter, Facebook, Mail, Reminders, Calendar)
    • Lock sounds off
    • Bluetooth off
    • Location Services only for apps that need it (Maps, Compass, PayPal, Siri, Speedtest, Trailers, Weather, Find iPhone)
    • Location Services only for services that need it (Cell Network Search, Compass Calibration, Traffic)
    • Photo Stream disabled
    • Do Not Disturb set to ON (Scheduled) from 12AM-10AM
    • iTunes Wi-Fi Sync disable
    • Camera Flash off when taking pictures (unless needed)
    • Ringer/silent switch set to ringer

I personally leave my PhotoStream on since I think to turn it off cripples one of the main features of an iP5 and iOS 6. My battery life was unaffected having PhotoStream off or on. I also personally think the screen is too dark when set at 1/4 on. I use 1/2 on and still have had major increases. Now - after I did a recent update to 6.0.2 - the update automatically turned back on my BlueTooth and for some reason (a restore that still contains old Cydia preference settings) the BlueTooth ON indicator doesn't show in my status bar. So when I turned off bluetooth (I never have need of this feature) that was a MAJOR savings in battery for me. But others will need that.

Thanks, Anthony for that list! But I personally went from full charge down to 9% in only 8 hours of moderate to heavy use BEFORE the above changes - to yesterday, same usage with the above changes - going to bed with 38% left. And waking up this morning to 36%. Only a 2% drain overnight. In my screen shot it shows that I put it on charger since last full charger - but that was only for the 1 minute yesterday when I turned of iTunes Wifi Synch - which requires a plug into the computer. So I will wait to post another screen shot until I can show the 'believable' screen shot results.

Let us know your experience and if there are any that should be added to the above list that you've observed. Remember we don't want to CRIPPLE our phones just for battery's sake. But I do think too many apps ask for Location Service and Notifications to be on. I think there's a hugh savings there too when most of that it off.

Thanks

My results over the last couple of days using Anthony's settings adjustments.

In fairness I fully charged my phone (takes only about 70 minutes) before going to bed and did not leave my phone on the charger all night. Phone read 100% battery in the am. So the first nine hours of standby time were nonuse of any kind and on the Do Not Disturb setting. Also lightly padding those numbers might be the fact that I had my Sim out of the phone and in my jailbroken 4S for about seven hours during that run that's depicted in my screenshot.

Today I'm going to leave the phone normal and charge it overnight with it plugged in the whole night like most of us do. So my numbers at the end of tomorrow I'll post back here which will be the fairest test of Anthony's settings based on how most of us use our phones. But I haven't seen those numbers above since iPhone 4 on 4.2.8 days.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Nice post X. I'll be trying out a few combinations myself.

Any thoughts on Siri and spotlight in regards to battery use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toproaster View Post
    Nice post X. I'll be trying out a few combinations myself.

Any thoughts on Siri and spotlight in regards to battery use?
    Thanks, Top! I personally haven't tested Siri off yet since Siri is central to the way I use my phone. But you could give 'er a try!

Thanks

Okay. Here's my first full day with phone having been plugged in all night and a normal 10 hour day of heavy usage. These battery stats, using Anthony's sensible preference settings adjustment (and no BlueTooth) are getting me very close to Apple specs. So I'm happy,

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wargasmtornado's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure if this is related(mines an i4),but ever since i removed springtomize 2,i now get 16+ hrs standby with upto 8+hrs usage,where as before,it would only be 6 ish for both.i now have seperate tweaks installed,as much as i loved springtomize 2,im enjoying my battery again
    ipod 4G,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    iphone 4,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    i really,really hate using Winterboard

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,394 Times in 6,351 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wargasmtornado View Post
    Not sure if this is related(mines an i4),but ever since i removed springtomize 2,i now get 16+ hrs standby with upto 8+hrs usage,where as before,it would only be 6 ish for both.i now have seperate tweaks installed,as much as i loved springtomize 2,im enjoying my battery again
    You left out that on your thread you did a restore. I don't think that S2 was your issue.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

And all battery stats here are with stock phones so far. They'll act as a nice baseline for when we get the upcoming iOS 6 jailbreak and test our batteries again after adding our favorite tweaks.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,184 Times in 6,970 Posts

Thread moved. Not a theme launch.