+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I phone 3gs activation problems

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi everyone So a week ago my mom gave me her old iphone 3gs, to give to my son to use as an ipod. I had a hard time getting
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I phone 3gs activation problems
    Hi everyone

So a week ago my mom gave me her old iphone 3gs, to give to my son to use as an ipod.
    I had a hard time getting it to change to my itunes that i created for my daughter. So in the end
    I ended up doing a factory reset, and it didn't really reset but I had my moms itunes password and
    decided I would finishes up later. I tried to upload a game for my son to play but it said that it needed
    at least 4.1 iOS. I upgraded it via itunes and thought ok perfect I can get it all up and running for him.
    Then the phone turned back on I selected english then canada added my wifi password then next, well says activating may take a few mins then bam sorry cannot activate servers might be down. tried numorous times. Nothing
    Turns out I didn't know the phone was i guess jailbroken or whatever its called when u use the cell on telus then get it switched to rogers. I keep reading that, that was the problem. Is there anyways to fix or bypass the activation
    please and thank you !

Thanks
    Thanked 15,003 Times in 6,921 Posts

Sounds like it had the iPad baseband installed for unlocking. By updating you put the baseband in an unstable state.
    To confirm download f0recast and run it with you phone plugged in. See what it says your baseband is, if it is 6.15.00 then this is your problem.
    To fix it use redsnow 0.9.15b3 to downgrade your baseband. This will activate the phone and fix the baseband. From there you can use it as an iPod like you wanted.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thank u
    the baseband was 6.15.00

i have searched for redsnow 0.9.15b3 and downloaded the thing to my computer, i see a new tool bar but dont know how to actually use it to downgrade my and activate my phone. help please

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So I have the redsnow downloaded and unzipped and that was going great till it asks me to select IPSW, I can't seem to get the iPhone_Restore.ipsw thing to work, when i try to unzip it. it starts up but at the end tells me some message about encryption on some flies not working or something like that. if i could get the file to unzip proper i could make it to the next step, beyond frustrated :'( please help

Thanks

You don't unzip the ipsw. You have to point redsnow to the ipsw like is says in the guide 2K1 provided (although you should be pointing redsnow to a 6.0 firmware not a 5.1.1. The ipsw should have a icon that looks like a white cube. If it doesn't then it is in .zip format which is wrong so you need to rename .zip to .ipsw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I ended up having to download mozilla firefox to get the proper file, In the end it is all up and running now!!!
    Thanks so much for all the help everyone!!!

yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Glad to hear it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HELP !!!!!! yet another problem, It wont send imessages or go on safari to surf the net it also doesn't sign into game center?which in the end still makes the iphone useless to my son seens as how he just wants to play games on it.. how do i fix it? please and thank you.
    Last edited by Isis17; 02-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HELP !!!!!! yet another problem, It wont send imessages or go on safari to surf the net it also doesn't sign into game center?which in the end still makes the iphone useless to my son seens as how he just wants to play games on it.. how do i fix it? please and thank you.