+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Wifi Question

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey, at the moment I only have access to wired internet, with only one ethernet cord, which means I can only use it on my laptop and not my iPhone
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone Wifi Question
    Hey, at the moment I only have access to wired internet, with only one ethernet cord, which means I can only use it on my laptop and not my iPhone or any other devices I have. So I'm wondering, since there's personal hotspot on iOS, if there's a setting or Cydia tweak to use it differently. Eg, connect the iPhone to my computer, and it uses its internet connection for the personal hotspot, instead of using my 3G which has very bad reception here.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I'm pretty tired.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

If I'm not mistaken are you talking about something like mywi on cydia?

Thanks

I just tried that, looks like the Personal Hotspot. It just shares my 3G connection with other devices. What I'm wondering if there's a way for my iPhone to use my laptop's internet connection for the hotspot, if that makes sense.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You need to set up an ad hoc connection on your laptop which essentially turns it into a hotspot (assuming it has wifi of course). Ensure Internet connection sharing is enabled and then your iPhone should find the as hoc network and let you connect. Itll let it use the internet too if you have the ethernet connected. Note this is for windows, not sure how to do similar on OSX!

Thanks

Yeah I just spent like half an hour trying that, no matter what I do I always get the message "Cannot Open Page" on safari on my phone, even though it's connnected to the network.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ad hoc networks are odd. Works fine on my current HP laptop but think I had problems when setting it up initially. Try the Microsoft support site for troubleshooting and fiddling with the various settings. If I rem correctly it didn't work with WPA but did with WEP

Thanks

Where on the MS site should I look?
    EDIT: I used a program called Virtual Router to create a hotspot, the strange thing is that the network works on my Xbox but not my iPhone or my grandad's computer, any idea what's happening there?
    Last edited by Reeiiko; 01-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.