+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why why why? Thats the question. Im beginning to Think.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
First of all this question is for EVERYBODY. Why do you jailbreak. What advantage do you get over stock? (tweaks etc.) And most important, why do you stick with ios
    Thanks

Default Why why why? Thats the question. Im beginning to Think.
    First of all this question is for EVERYBODY.

Why do you jailbreak.

What advantage do you get over stock? (tweaks etc.)

And most important, why do you stick with ios over android?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,983 Times in 932 Posts

If we have to explain it to you, you won't understand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Bc jailbreaking gives su access. Allows you to do what you want with your device. Mod files, add files, delete files, overclocking, theming, tethering, etc...

Tweaks...there are a lot out there. Cool things to do. Some examples: Add/reduce number of icons per row or column, different style notification bar, different style notification center, disable features like spotlight, gesture multitasking, animated boot logos, customize status bar content, sbsettings, intelliscreenX, it goes on...

Why iOS over Android? I didn't choose either. I have used both. I would prefer Android as of today, but last year and years before that I chose iOS. I'm sure I will choose iOS in the future, but right now I'm choosing Android. There are things on Android that I want to happen that don't happen without rooting and on Verizon, unlocking the bootloader. The rooting process wasn't difficult, it was just confusing until I got the hang of it. I have yet to unlock the bootloader so that I can overclock my device since the process is more advanced. So props to iOS and the dev-teams that make jailbreaking so easy. Props to Jay for creating Cydia so everything JB can be accessed in one app.

A rooted Android is powerful. Heck, Android is pretty nice without being rooted...but for those Fandroids out there who claim you can do everything on stock Android that an iPhone can that requires a JB, well that just ain't true. I'm happy with my Android, but I'm happier with my rooted Android. Same with the iPhone, I'm happy with my iPhone but happier when it's jailbroken.

The two platforms are both different and both have pros and cons. It's user preference. Of course...the hardware matters too. Using a single core Android device yields poor performance in contrast to a quad or dual core Android device. At least the iPhone never has a problem performing well. The hardware is fantastic since the iPhone is alone in Apple's line of smartphones, aside from the previous gen models.

I really hope this doesn't become one of those Android vs iOS flaming threads...they're both great OS's with pros and cons to each. Can't we just leave it at that? Lol.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 01-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks

I jailbreak for very few reasons, namely sbsettings, password pilot, and 3g unrestrictor, ive never had an android phone but am considering buying 1. I actually found a samsung galaxy s3 today funnily enough, fortunately enough i was able to get it back to the rightfull owner. But upon scanning through it briefly it looked nice, alot nicer than ios. Live wallpaper was awesome. Had a good feel to it. But if they could put android on an iphone (which is in a class of its own as far as build quality is concerned) id be all over it.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,295 Times in 5,961 Posts

They have put android on an iPhone in the past. Can't remember which iPhone, but it has been ported before.

@iannie

I think it's kinda funny that you don't want to start the iOS vs andriod thing going on here, yet you were the one that brought it up right out of the gate and then you don't want others to follow your lead. Why bring it up at all?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,775 Times in 6,871 Posts

She didn't say she doesn't want an android vs ios discussion. She just doesn't want a huge flame/troll war between the two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post

I really hope this doesn't become one of those Android vs iOS flaming threads...they're both great OS's with pros and cons to each. Can't we just leave it at that? Lol.
    Not the way I read it Simon, but I will go with it for ya.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Thanks

I believe I mentioned the pros and cons about iOS and Android. I believe I also mentioned that I liked both, but have a preference at this time in contrast to the previous years of owning the iPhone. The OP mentions why choose iOS over Android, I answered that question. I don't believe I was the one to introduce the topic. I was hoping for a more mature and constructive discussion, not a flame war. There's a difference in that. For example: If I were flaming I'd say iOS sucks and Android is the best. I don't believe that at all. I believe there are pros and cons for both platforms and sure, it's fine to discuss the differences, it's just silly to start saying one sucks and the other doesn't. I was hoping for it NOT to come to that point is all. Hope this clears up your confusion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomwalao View Post
    I was hoping for it NOT to come to that point is all. Hope this clears up your confusion.
    Huh????

Thanks

Spammer. Been quoting me all around the place.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-05-2013), Schnedi (01-06-2013)

Thanks

Ahhh, I see now.

Thanks

Spammer. Been quoting me all around the place.
    Have you been immediately deleting his posts? I got an email notification and then I saw nothing so I started doing some research and found this thread. Just confused me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Have you been immediately deleting his posts? I got an email notification and then I saw nothing so I started doing some research and found this thread. Just confused me...
    Yeah banned and cleared his posts at once.

Thanks

Yeah banned and cleared his posts at once.
    Old boyfriend???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used to JB largely for the apps on cydia. For a while I had "that" app on the phone, to try out paid for apps before buying, but got fed up with the unreliable sources so deleted it. I now buy the app, try it, then get into a fight with Apple if the app isn't as advertised (far too common nowadays!)

Now my main phones are on ios6 and not JB'd and its surprisingly easy to live with, but I miss SBSettings and Lockinfo desperately.

My iPad is JB'd as I use XMBC for local streaming and movie playback.

I'm not too bothered now about future JB's, even if it comes to exist I'm not sure I'd use it as my phones have been considerably more stable since I was locked out of root. What I would like to see is the more established cydia apps that fill the enormous holes in iOS made available in the App Store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Old boyfriend???
    I have no idea who that weirdo is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't understand what are talking about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenyoga View Post
    I don't understand what are talking about.
    It's ok. Don't worry about it.