Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No sound coming from iPhone receiver, headset, speaker, anywhere!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default No sound coming from iPhone receiver, headset, speaker, anywhere!
    I just had a hair raising hour of stressing out about my iPhone. I was getting calls but couldn't hear a ring, keypads clicks, a voice on the other end, nada. I googled "iPhone can't hear sound" which gave me a huge number of hits. So in a way that's a GOOD thing right? Because if it's a common problem there will definitely be a fix for it and I'll be back in business in no time.

HOWEVER.

The fixes mentioned (mostly involving jamming your headset jack in and out of the port to clear dust on the pick ups, or starting the iPod and playing a song then pausing it and making a call...) didn't seem to do anything. For a start when I opened the iPod it wouldn't play. The triangle symbol stayed more or less triangular rather than turning to a paused double line symbol, and there was no sound in any case.

So. This is the longest story in history but I'm sure if you're in the same sort of trouble I was in you'll be reading on with great interest. I was considering doing a restore but as I'd just 24 hours previously done a restore and upgrade to 1.1.4 then spent hours with a temperamental WiFi connection reinstalling all my Installer goodies I was really reluctant to go down that road and have to reinstall everything. Again.

So I did a reset. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. And VOILA... fixed.

Phew.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fluffy_as_a_cat For This Useful Post:

bamrbam161 (04-22-2008), EL TIGERASO (04-22-2008)

Thanks

Yep. A bug caused by ZiPhone.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

go to settings. Click on it and the go to General. On general scroll down to reset and that would reset all system sounds and etc. Try that. That happened to me as well until my friend told me how to fix this.

This exact thing happened to me and I hadn't yet seen this post, so I did all of the tricks I found (except the one you mentioned) and nothing worked, so I restored it. Now I'm stuck in a vicious loop of trying to, not only reboot my system, but restore my backup files. Well it seems that I can have my iphone working, but can't have any of my back up files. When I go to restore my backup files, my iphone starts to restore but ends up going to the apple screen with the start up wheel spinning in the center of it (never seen that before) and a repetitive buzzing.

Let me know if any of you's guys have encountered this and maybe how to help out a poor iphonaphile.

~h

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by halorobot View Post
    This exact thing happened to me and I hadn't yet seen this post, so I did all of the tricks I found (except the one you mentioned) and nothing worked, so I restored it. Now I'm stuck in a vicious loop of trying to, not only reboot my system, but restore my backup files. Well it seems that I can have my iphone working, but can't have any of my back up files. When I go to restore my backup files, my iphone starts to restore but ends up going to the apple screen with the start up wheel spinning in the center of it (never seen that before) and a repetitive buzzing.

Let me know if any of you's guys have encountered this and maybe how to help out a poor iphonaphile.

~h
    The first rule of ziphone is: Always start from a fresh restored state.

The second rule of ziphone is: Always set the phone up as NEW, not from back-up as there are MANY known issues if a phone has been previously jailbroken with a different method.

thanks for helping, i was going to restore my phone and i had the exact same problem with no being able to hear anything.

Yup, i had this issue when i did it a while back. restore and do it all again and it came out fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wish I would have seen this a few days ago...Good looks tho

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Same thing happened to me a few minutes ago and I freaked out lol. I was calling a number where an automated thing tells u to press 1 for English so i go to press on the keypad and i got the apple screen and the phone froze. Than It started up again but with no sound, i tried different things and finally turned it off and than put it into the charging dock at that point it turned back on with sound working fine so yeh thats another way to fix it.

Hey ok, my iPhone speakers at the bottom work, ringtone plays when called but cannot hear anything when i answer. no message tone, no dialtone when calling, ONLY when on loudspeaker do i hear the dialtone and person on the other end. My headphones and iPod work perfect. do i just do the same as above or is there a simpler solution??

Quote Originally Posted by RuShox View Post
    Hey ok, my iPhone speakers at the bottom work, ringtone plays when called but cannot hear anything when i answer. no message tone, no dialtone when calling, ONLY when on loudspeaker do i hear the dialtone and person on the other end. My headphones and iPod work perfect. do i just do the same as above or is there a simpler solution??
    my phone is doing thesame thing did you get any help when. I do get sound from the ear part its cracking I hope the speaker hasnt blown