+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 battery

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a secret I like to share about battery life. On all of my phones either getting a new one or after a new restore of the OS I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a secret I like to share about battery life. On all of my phones either getting a new one or after a new restore of the OS I always start cycling the battery. I believe the os has to learn what the battery can give. I do this every day till the battery gives me good usage every day. Here is what my Dailey battery usage is

Hope this helps others.

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one_crazy_dude View Post
    I have a secret I like to share about battery life. On all of my phones either getting a new one or after a new restore of the OS I always start cycling the battery. I believe the os has to learn what the battery can give. I do this every day till the battery gives me good usage every day. Here is what my Dailey battery usage is

Hope this helps others.
    Sorry for being ignorant but what exactly is cycling the battery?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustlenny View Post
    Sorry for being ignorant but what exactly is cycling the battery?
    Cycling the battery is when you use your phone till the battery dies and the phone shuts off by it self then you charge the phone with out using/unplugging till the battery is at full charge.

I normally try to do this at bed time because the screen might say 100% doesn't mean the battery is fully charged.

Letting the battery stay plugged to the power source for let say 8 hours or more will guarantee a full charge.

It should take longer for the battery to discharge teaching the o/s where 100% and -0% actually is in the battery.

Right out the box my phone only gave me 3 to 4 hours of usage. Cycling every day has given me up till 10 hours now and it's getting pretty hard for me to continue running down the battery now to cycle so at this point I will stop till I notice less battery life.

I know others will say b.s. and that's fine because this also works on other devices that charge like my helicopter, Rc car, and my other iDevices.

Just some info on iPhones, iPods, and iPads, if you restore as new I repeat the process to "teach" iOS all over again and get the same results.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Straight from apple. Although I might take it a bit extreme I get excellent usage out of my devices.

I also turn off battery percentage, I believe it is a battery hog (maybe a glitch in the o/s) and only use it to snap screen shots. I feel the battery runs down quicker. If you use it try for a day and turn it off. See if you notice any difference in battery life.

I stopped using it on my iPhone 4. That's when I noticed I got better battery having it off.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by one_crazy_dude; 10-04-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    I Like Eletronics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one_crazy_dude View Post
    Cycling the battery is when you use your phone till the battery dies and the phone shuts off by it self then you charge the phone with out using/unplugging till the battery is at full charge.

I normally try to do this at bed time because the screen might say 100% doesn't mean the battery is fully charged.

Letting the battery stay plugged to the power source for let say 8 hours or more will guarantee a full charge.

It should take longer for the battery to discharge teaching the o/s where 100% and -0% actually is in the battery.

Right out the box my phone only gave me 3 to 4 hours of usage. Cycling every day has given me up till 10 hours now and it's getting pretty hard for me to continue running down the battery now to cycle so at this point I will stop till I notice less battery life.

I know others will say b.s. and that's fine because this also works on other devices that charge like my helicopter, Rc car, and my other iDevices.

Just some info on iPhones, iPods, and iPads, if you restore as new I repeat the process to "teach" iOS all over again and get the same results.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Straight from apple. Although I might take it a bit extreme I get excellent usage out of my devices.

I also turn off battery percentage, I believe it is a battery hog (maybe a glitch in the o/s) and only use it to snap screen shots. I feel the battery runs down quicker. If you use it try for a day and turn it off. See if you notice any difference in battery life.

I stopped using it on my iPhone 4. That's when I noticed I got better battery having it off.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the expectation. I actually started doing this 2 nights ago and each day I've gotten better battery than the previous day. Here's yesterday's results. So far it's the best battery usage I've had with this phone.

I'll also try the battery percentage today see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPhone 5 battery-imageuploadedbymodmyi1349360569.342554.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustlenny View Post
    Thanks for the expectation. I actually started doing this 2 nights ago and each day I've gotten better battery than the previous day. Here's yesterday's results. So far it's the best battery usage I've had with this phone.

I'll also try the battery percentage today see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!
    That's really good compared some I'm helping on another forum. Glad I could help.
    I Like Eletronics

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ill have to try that. I don't think I've let my new 5 die completely yet since I got it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Today I'm at 32% with 7 hours 20 min usage and 1 day and 8 hours standby. Everything is shut off and I only turn usage on to check where I'm at. That's with absolutely no charging or plugging in to my computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rayraysfunhouse View Post
    Today I'm at 32% with 7 hours 20 min usage and 1 day and 8 hours standby. Everything is shut off and I only turn usage on to check where I'm at. That's with absolutely no charging or plugging in to my computer.

That's pretty impressive. Even after following the recommendations I'm not getting as good battery as you are. So far I have 15% left with 5 hours 44 mins of usage and 13 hours and 22 mins of standby. I have wifi turned off until I need it. Same for Bluetooth (only need it In my car for Bluetooth audio) and have battery percentage off. Also have brightness to about a quarter of the way down. As well as lte turned off. I'll still keep checking over the next couple of days to see if this improves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yea that one impressed me. Nowhere near as good today. I think after it finally completely died I was at 8.5 hours and like 36 hours standby. Nowhere near as good today. But I've been using my hotspot damn near all day.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Daniel212's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi, I got my iphone 5 on nov. 4th and when I got it, I completely drained the battery to 0%, and did a charge to 100% when it show that its full. So I'm wondering do I have to drain it again and do a full charge to get better battery life. Last time I check I had about 10hrs of stand by time and maybe 5hrs of usage, so I'm not sure what to do to increase my battery life

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

i had 100 % from last night and now is 5 pm which in total of 16 hours and i still have 67% battery left. i usually charge my iphone 5 once every two days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    i had 100 % from last night and now is 5 pm which in total of 16 hours and i still have 67% battery left. i usually charge my iphone 5 once every two days.
    Wow! Nice! Can you tell how you get yours like that? I get about 10-12 hrs of stand by and 4-6 hrs of usage, and that's basic use, messages, web browse, phone calls

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel212 View Post
    Hi, I got my iphone 5 on nov. 4th and when I got it, I completely drained the battery to 0%, and did a charge to 100% when it show that its full. So I'm wondering do I have to drain it again and do a full charge to get better battery life. Last time I check I had about 10hrs of stand by time and maybe 5hrs of usage, so I'm not sure what to do to increase my battery life
    You drain it down and charge it back up to 100% once a month is good enough to maintain the life expectancy of your battery. Other times, charge it in between 20 to 80%. Don't overcharge it like leaving it plug in overnight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You drain it down and charge it back up to 100% once a month is good enough to maintain the life expectancy of your battery. Other times, charge it in between 20 to 80%. Don't overcharge it like leaving it plug in overnight.
    That's what I did, and right now I'm at 45% with 6 hrs of stand by and about 2 hrs of usage, so basically it might look like 12 hrs of stand by and 4-5 hrs of usage, just read some ppl having 1 day or more with charge on stand by, idk if I should return if its a battery issue or something else,

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12