+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New user needs some help

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My biggest problem is that I am in Peru. I bought a jailbroke 3G and froze it because I did not know what I was doing. Took it to the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy New user needs some help
    My biggest problem is that I am in Peru. I bought a jailbroke 3G and froze it because I did not know what I was doing. Took it to the local black market guy and he rebooted everything for me. Then i had some problems with putting songs on the phone. It worked with a small list but when I tried all songs it would not sync. Could not find some songs on my computer. So i tried a down loaded program that was supposed to do it easy. This program did not work correct and put 3Gigs in my OTHER folder and I cannot see it or delete it. I did finally get Itunes to sync 800 songs so I am OK for a while but I have 3 gigs of wasted space on my phone.

I would like to understand how to reformat the Iphone without locking it up like last time.

Things I know:

4.1 (8B117)
    Cydia is installed on the phone but it says that "This version of Cydia is no longer supported upgrade to 1.1x"
    3G I phone
    I basically do not need to save anything on the phone now because I have not bought anything for it yet.
    I just need all my space back.

Things I don't know:

What program was used to jailbreak it.
    whether or not it matters.
    If I need to re-jailbreak it.

Any step by step help would be appreciated
    Remember that I am in Peru so I do not have access to US tech support.http://www.modmyi.com/images/icons/icon9.png

Dan

Thanks

Restoring to 4.2.1 and jailbreaking with greenpois0n should free up some space for you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default OK
    OK I am willing to try, BUT I do not want to lock the phone up like last time. Can you walk me through this or direct me to a thread that I can use that will not lock the phone up.

Thanks Dan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So I tried it as you said and locked up the phone and had to have it restored by someone now it only has 3.1 on it.

Thanks

I personally wouldn't go higher than 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 on a 3G... 4.2.1 works but slows it down and makes it stuttery...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds good to me, thanks for the help.

Also Cyndia wants to install a few updates and one of them says firmware. Is this firmware for Cyndia or for Iphone. It is the firmware upgrade that always gets me in trouble.

Dan

Thanks

I highly doubt Cydia wants to install something to do with FW updates... I'm wondering exactly what that is..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Attention this version of Cydia is no longer supported please upgrade to 1.1.x at your earliest convenience (downloading packages)

modifications

Install Big Boss icon set
    Cydia translations
    Debian utilities
    iphone Firmware (/sbin)
    UIKit Tools

Upgrade

APT 0.7 Strict (lib)
    Base structure
    core utilities
    cydia installer
    system-cmds

Dan

Thanks

Oh yeah that's fine to do...no prob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks I did it and Cydia is now up to date.

But I cannot get any of the apps that I had in the first place. When i was running 4.2.1 I think it was a Ipad ios. Any way when I connect itunes it asks me to upgrade to 4.2.1. This I think is where I had many problems but I cannot remember. Will it try and restore or put new firmware on if I only hit upgrade. to 4.2.1. ? How much trouble can I get into by only upgrading to 4.2.1?

Dan

Thanks

Well, like I said earlier... It will slow down the phone.. Some even claimed it made it useless... Many apps now require at least 4.2.1... Many want 4.3 or later...

All comes down to what u need.. If u need apps that need higher iOS, either upgrade to 4.2.1 on that phone or upgrade to newer phone..