Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3 wont work

Default iphone 3 wont work
    so i have an iphone 3g and it was unlocked, i hit restore and update on itunes, the version of the phone is 4.2.1 and when i did that it tried to restart, and then as its almost done updating and restarting it says an unexpected error has occurred....and then all the phone shows is to plug into itunes and you cant do anything with it.. i need help please

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Firstly, just so you know if it's software unlocked you've lost the unlock (unless you had the iPad bb on it) and will have to do a series of steps to get it back.

Secondly, try downloading a stock 3.1.3 ipsw (we have one in the Downloads section here on MMi). Then do a shift+restore to it in iTunes. Let me know if you get any errors.

Do you happen to know if you have the iPad bb installed on it? If so, still get the stock 3.1.3 ipsw but instead of restoring to it create a custom fw with it with Sn0wbreeze. After that, set the phone into pwned dfu with Sn0wbreeze and restore to that custom firmware.

Again, let me know if you receive any errors.

if the phone previously had the ipad baseband installed (06.15.00), you cant just simply hit the update button in updates and expect the phone to update to 4.2.1...

it needs to be installed using a custom 4.2.1 using sn0wbreeze or redsn0w