+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to iPhone 5 - Should I go CDMA or GSM? (Verizon vs AT&T)

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Something I have not been able to get a clear answer on is if there is any advantage in terms of performance and data speeds with either GSM (AT&T) or
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Upgrading to iPhone 5 - Should I go CDMA or GSM? (Verizon vs AT&T)
    Something I have not been able to get a clear answer on is if there is any advantage in terms of performance and data speeds with either GSM (AT&T) or CDMA (Verizon) iPhone. The ability to talk and surf is not that important to me. Other than that is there really much of a difference? Are LTE speeds the same as well? I'm tempted to switch to Verizon as they are reputed to have better coverage and service in my area (Dallas, TX). I'm just wondering if there are any performance differences or if the phones are essentially the same, aside from what band they operate on.

Green Apple
    Thanks

im not sure about Verizon's LTE coverage/speed. they do claim to be the largest and fastest, but who knows if this is true.
    I do know with the 4S ATT was getting better speeds on their HSPA+, which is borderline 4G.

ATT is offering true LTE on the iPhone5, but this only helps if you're in their LTE area.
    i dont believe there will ever be a definitive answer as to who is faster. just choose the carrier who has better
    coverage in your intended area of use.

hope this helps a little

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zedbra For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (09-16-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Agree with Z. Choose who has the best "fast" coverage in your area. For me if all things were equal I would pick GSM over CDMA and it has nothing to do with talk n surf (although I would like to continue to use things like navi and talk at the same time (i.e. "dude, according to the navi I'm 30 miles from the party - talk n surf).

While both have LTE the GSM version of the iP5 steps down to almost as fast HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. The CDMA version on the other hand steps down to old slooooow CDMA/EVDO and not only did it matter before for video apps like Hulu and Netflix but even more now that facetime is over the cellular network. Facetime (or any other streaming video app) on EVDO? Yikes!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lohand For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (09-16-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks! All the comparisons I've read suggest that AT&T has faster data service on both 3G and 4G in the Dallas area. On the other hand, many people here have problems with dropped calls and I've heard nothing but good things about Verizon, and from what I can tell, their voice coverage is better here. I don't have a HUGE problem with dropped calls, but it does happen a little more than I'd like at times. (i.e. - I'd rather it never happen at all)

I don't use a lot of data, but after dealing with data on my 3G getting progressively slower (partly from the phone being outdated) I want my data connection to be as fast as I can get. So it's kind of a toss up, between the two. I'm temped to stay with AT&T for faster data and to avoid the hassle of switching carriers, and just accept the occasional dropped call as a minor inconvenience. My fear is that if I switch to Verizon I'll be underwhelmed and disappointed with data speeds.

EVO
    Thanks

besides the speed, if you ever decide to sell your phone in the future (way future), you will have more potential buyers as more of them will be GSM users, and thus you will get more money for it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

Bill1975 (09-20-2012)