Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to new IOS w/jailbroken/unlocked 3GS?

Question Upgrade to new IOS w/jailbroken/unlocked 3GS?
    Sorry for the noob question but I got my iPhone 3GS used and it was already jailbroken and unlocked.

My question is, what will happen if I plug it in and click update firmware or whatever on iTunes?

I use AT&T so I don't care about it being unlocked or jailbroken....

Quote Originally Posted by Supermario680 View Post
    Sorry for the noob question but I got my iPhone 3GS used and it was already jailbroken and unlocked.

My question is, what will happen if I plug it in and click update firmware or whatever on iTunes?

I use AT&T so I don't care about it being unlocked or jailbroken....
    Edit
    Last edited by EVO; 09-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Well if you have it unlock with AT&T nothing will happen it will just update to 5.1.1 and you will be good.

it is never wise to simply do an "Update" on a "Jailbroken" iphone..

there are files that are "injected" or stored in the iOS system directory when it was jailbroken, and updating will overwrite some of those files needed to run a jailbroken iphone properly

plus you will lose your jailbroken apps (if you have any)

if you want to update, it is a wise decision to make a backup in itunes, then do a RESTORE instead of an UPDATE

Ok but I will loose cydia and all that right? It won't brick it or delete anything that isn't cydia/winterboard related right?

So restore will also install the latest ios?

that is correct to both of your questions...

but as mentioned, its never a good idea to simply update on a jailbroken device as you will most likely run into issues later

what you can do is backup your contacts, photos, etc. in itunes, then restore the phone using the Restore function, then you can restore from the itunes backup once itunes has finished reinstalling the latest iOS

then if you dont want to jailbreak, leave it the way it is, but you can always jailbreak in the future

it will give you a better piece of mind

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Thanks

Glad ya got it working.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Glad ya got it working.
    Well it was never actually broken but yea... So far I think I have it backed up... Plugged it in, the device popped up in the menu on the left then I right clicked and I think it gave me the option there. Took about an hour to transfer like 8 gigs. So I think it worked.

Other than that I haven't had enough time working 12 hour shift until next mondy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermario680 View Post
    Well it was never actually broken but yea... So far I think I have it backed up... Plugged it in, the device popped up in the menu on the left then I right clicked and I think it gave me the option there. Took about an hour to transfer like 8 gigs. So I think it worked.

Other than that I haven't had enough time working 12 hour shift until next mondy.
    wow and I complain when I work an 8 hr shift

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    wow and I complain when I work an 8 hr shift
    Haha yup. 72 hrs this week.

Thanks

Got it all back to normal now?