Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pairing iphone to another iphone's bluetooth hotspot

Default Pairing iphone to another iphone's bluetooth hotspot
    I have an iphone without data service and want to access another iphone's bluetooth hotspot as that can be left on with low power consumption. Can that be done? If so, which software/mod do I need on the which of the iphones (the bluetooth client/server or both?) ipod/ipad can all connect to the bluetooth hotspot but iphone can't see each other on bluetooth.

I have searched for a while and can't find a clear answer. I came across the AirBlue stack. Would that do the trick? If there's a way to trick the iphone to think it is an ipod touch in terms of bluetooth functions, that might do the trick....

Help much appreciated! TIA!

iPhones with iOS5 and above have Personal Hotspot. You can access it in settings. I'm pretty sure that has bluetooth conectivity too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, MyWi 5 has Bluetooth, wifi and usb tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeiiko View Post
    iPhones with iOS5 and above have Personal Hotspot. You can access it in settings. I'm pretty sure that has bluetooth conectivity too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, MyWi 5 has Bluetooth, wifi and usb tethering.
    I can connect an iPod touch and iPad to the personal hotspot of the iPhone via bluetooth just fine, just not another iPhone. Connecting via wifi is fine but drawsaspen battery quickly. l Will MyWi allow the iPhone via Bluetooth? What about ibluever?

Thanks

Hi, iBluever is a quarter of the price of MyWi, but only works via Bluetooth. MyWi will not only tether via WiFi, USB and Bluetooth, but can use either your Cellular or Wifi Internet to tether with. Bluetooth saves power, but unlike WiFi, you can only tether one thing at a time. Not tried iDevice to iDevice before via Bluetooth but will have a go tomorrow.

Hi, iBluever is a quarter of the price of MyWi, but only works via Bluetooth. MyWi will not only tether via WiFi, USB and Bluetooth, but can use either your Cellular or Wifi Internet to tether with. Bluetooth saves power, but unlike WiFi, you can only tether one thing at a time. Not tried iDevice to iDevice before via Bluetooth but will have a go tomorrow.
    I am able to connect 3 devices (2 ipad + 1 ipod touch) to an iphone with the built-in personal hotspot via bluetooth, it just doesn't work tethering from another iPhone as I can't pair to make a connection.

If you can try pairing one iphone to another via iBluever or MyWi, that would be great! If possible, can you try the multiple connections too?

TIA

Thanks

Hi, I didnt manage to get hold of another iPhone yesterday to try. When you make your iPhone into a personal hotspot and share with 3 other non iPhones, that is over wifi, not Bluetooth. If your second iPhone can't join the wifi hotspot, click on forget network and reconnect. You can only pair and connect one device to your iPhone over Bluetooth. This works with laptops to iPhone. If you want to pair iPhone to iPhone over Bluetooth (not tried yet), I suspect Apple does not support this bluetooth service so you may need the $5 MyWi on demand service or something like iTether on the single iDevice needing the connection. It's not too clear if MyWi5 will work by itself, I will see if I can try sometime.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 08-28-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Hi, I didnt manage to get hold of another iPhone yesterday to try. When you make your iPhone into a personal hotspot and share with 3 other non iPhones, that is over wifi, not Bluetooth. If your second iPhone can't join the wifi hotspot, click on forget network and reconnect. You can only pair and connect one device to your iPhone over Bluetooth. This works with laptops to iPhone. If you want to pair iPhone to iPhone over Bluetooth (not tried yet), I suspect Apple does not support this bluetooth service so you may need the $5 MyWi on demand service or something like iTether on the single iDevice needing the connection. It's not too clear if MyWi5 will work by itself, I will see if I can try sometime.
    I turned wifi off on both the ipad and ipod touch and I am able to use bluetooth hotspot on my iphone at the same time, so multiple connections via bluetooth does work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m8cca View Post
    I turned wifi off on both the ipad and ipod touch and I am able to use bluetooth hotspot on my iphone at the same time, so multiple connections via bluetooth does work.
    That is interesting, I stand corrected, I will give it a go when I get my hands on a second iPhone. Are you saying you have no additional software installed like iTether, iBluever, TetherMe, MyWi and it still works with just your Apple Hotspot feature??!!
    Wow... That's good to know. It sort of makes the above packages redundant. In my Hotspot settings, it only says iPhone to computer connections.

Thanks

Hi, just tried an iPhone to iPhone Bluetooth hotspot and they wouldn't pair. I think you might need something like iTether on the iphone without internet.