+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Memory.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi. I just wanted to figure something out. I remember back in the first few months when I purchased my iPhone 4, I had monitored usage and all those little
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Memory.
    Hi.

I just wanted to figure something out. I remember back in the first few months when I purchased my iPhone 4, I had monitored usage and all those little things and noticed it having 400+ MB of free ram to use. Now a days, even after a restore and reboot. My phone is showing a usage of 150MB active on startup??? 50MB wired is understandable, but how is there 150MB used on startup? It doesn't make any sense to me. This is without using any load on startup tweaks as well.

Is there anyway to free up this memory that is occupied on startup? If so, how?

Thanks.

EVO
    Thanks

This is quite normal, you have to remember that an iphone is like a computer

even when your computer is idle, there are things called "processes" that are constantly running, and the processor is constantly accessing data from memory (RAM)

this is the same way with an iphone, and there really is not anything you can do

if you want most amount of free RAM as possible, the phone needs to be un-jailbroken, and you should only run stock apps, but where's the fun in that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

RAM is for using....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

raduga (08-22-2012)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    RAM is for using....
    Yes but the issue is that if you have to little, you won't be able to do anything and instead you'll be lagging terribly.

As far as the RAM issue goes.... Turn off any memory intensive tweaks that you don't use or rarely use, they take up memory. Also make sure to close inactive apps in your multitask bar, this will free you up even more. But if you want 100% performance at certain times, put your phone into safe mode, this turns off all Mobile Substrate extensions that could be taking up memory, and some tasks can takes up lots of memory...
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.