+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! iPhone won't restore..black screened!!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 4 that magically blacked screen and will not respond to any button commands. with no display i can manage to get it to recovery mode and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help! iPhone won't restore..black screened!!
    I have an iPhone 4 that magically blacked screen and will not respond to any button commands. with no display i can manage to get it to recovery mode and begin the restore process with iTunes. after the software download i get error message 1601 (unknown error). I've read that this error could be anything from a faulty usb cord to a bad version of iTunes. well i've tried everything i've read so far and i cant seem to get anything to work. this iPhone was jailbroke at the time of the crash. any insight or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

EVO
    Thanks

1600s errors although related to certain issues, but are not specific...

the 1st thing I would try doing is checking your computer's HOSTS file to verify that the host entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is not there, if it is you must delete it and save the hosts file...

secondly, were you attempting to restore to a custom firware, or did you let itunes download the firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well to be honest with you, I don't know anything about all the file hosts or how to change it. I have a brand new iMac with mountain lion so I knew the iTunes version and all was good. I tried updating it with iTunes 5.1.1, not anything custom. I also have no idea what program was used to jailbreak it in the first place. Is there a restore program for a jail broke device?

EVO
    Thanks

itunes is the only program used for restoring iOS devices

here's a video of how to edit the HOSTS file using a MAC:
    How to edit HOSTS file on a mac. CHECK OUT DESCRIPTION FOR MORE HELP. - YouTube

make sure ""74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is not in the HOSTS file