+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone won't reboot or restore.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alright, I have been up and down with this iPhone and have just about given up, and desperately need some help. I picked up an old iPhone 3Gs that had
    Thanks

Default iPhone won't reboot or restore.
    Alright, I have been up and down with this iPhone and have just about given up, and desperately need some help. I picked up an old iPhone 3Gs that had gotten wet before. It booted up and worked fine, with the exception of battery life (it needed to be plugged in to remain on).
    So I did a restore/update using the latest iTunes (10.6.3) and it crashed part of the way through. Now the phone will not boot, and is only recognized when placed in DFU mode (not restore mode, since no iTunes logo appears on the screen) and when I try to restore it (either in PWND mode or otherwise) it turns off the phone while verifying with Apple, but does not boot back up. This, in turn, leads to a failure, usually a 1602 or something along those lines.
    I attempted to "fix recovery" using TinyUmbrella, but the phone isn't recognized in DFU mode in TU. I also attempted to jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.13dev3 and Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 with no prevail. What happens is when it turns off the phone and waits for a reboot, it does not reboot (the same issue that it has when restoring with iTunes) and then sits there waiting.
    I am running windows 7 x64, and have tried changing cords, ports, and plugs with no success. At this point, I am pissed that it worked when I first got it and somehow messed it up by trying to restore it, and am just about to dub this phone nothing more than an expensive paper-wight.
    If anyone has any advice on how to fix these issues I'm having, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Until next time, God bless, hope to hear some ideas soon.
    -Joe
    Last edited by rev.joey; 08-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

When you say "it turns off the phone while verifying with Apple," you're talking about while itunes is verifying the firmware to be restored?

what i would suggest you do is first check your hosts file to make sure the host entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is deleted and the hosts file is saved

then create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using redsn0w, then put the phone in PWNED DFU mode using redsn0w (making sure redsn0w recognizes the phone), and use itunes to restore to the NO_BB firmware

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    When you say "it turns off the phone while verifying with Apple," you're talking about while itunes is verifying the firmware to be restored?

what i would suggest you do is first check your hosts file to make sure the host entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" is deleted and the hosts file is saved

then create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using redsn0w, then put the phone in PWNED DFU mode using redsn0w (making sure redsn0w recognizes the phone), and use itunes to restore to the NO_BB firmware

Yes, it doesn't reboot when it verifies, soon after the restore begins on iTunes. I have tried resetting that host file to the default, and tried the PWNED, with said custom 5.1.1 firmware, but this leads me to yet another problem with my iTunes experience, my shift+restore is finicky, at best, and almost never works, and have no clue why either. Yet another issue I've been trying to resolve via-forum advice.
    Moving on, I decided to give it a clean slate; I updated usb drivers, remade the custom firmware, PWNED the iPhone in DFU, and ran iTunes as the administrator. Once again, the shift button won't work. I will try to resolve this issue, then be on to restore as you advised. Any idea why the shift+restore would have issues?
    Thanks for the help!

EVO
    Thanks

I'm not quite understanding your issue with the Shift + Restore

please clarify...

Thanks

When I hold down shift and select restore, it acts as if I wasn't pressing the shift key at all. It works when it wants to, but almost never when I need it to...
    Quite aggravating.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rev.joey View Post
    When I hold down shift and select restore, it acts as if I wasn't pressing the shift key at all. It works when it wants to, but almost never when I need it to...
    Quite aggravating.
    You do have two shift keys you know..... ;p

Thanks

Okay, in order to avoid any confusion or further suggestions I've already tried, allow me to clarify further; I have tried every combination of control, tab, shift, alt, and option keys there possibly is on my windows keyboard. Ive tried using a mouse and the laptop keyboard, a USB keyboard, the touchpad, etc. The shift restore option does not work and the only other info I've heard about this particular issue was perhaps a driver issue, but there's so much on my computer I wouldn't even know where to begin looking...

EVO
    Thanks

ok so inform us what happens when you "try" to hold the SHIFT + clicking Restore

there will be only 2 things that will happen:

1. You will either see a message saying "Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone...." with a Restore or Cancel button
    2. You will see an option that will allow you to open a file.

which one occurs?

Thanks

The first. It doesn't come up with the explorer window for selecting the ISPW file.

EVO
    Thanks

got it!

there may be issue with itunes restoring your phone using its "downloaded" 5.1.1 firmware from itunes instead of restoring through a custom NO_BB firmware created by redsn0w

it is not a driver issue, otherwise your keyboard would not work at all

I believe it may be dust or dirt buildup under the shift key

i would recommend that you try it on another computer

Thanks

Default Reply with video
    I found the solution to the Shift+Restore error; it was a problem with the program "synergy", used to share the mouse and keyboard between multiple computers (or iDevices). I uninstalled that program, restarted, and iTunes now works fine.

On to the main problem, the iPhone in question. I put the iPhone 3Gs in PWNED mode for restore, Shift+restore, selected and restored the PWNED IPSW, then it removes software, begins verifying with apple and makes the "usb removal" sound on windows, and then the phone won't reboot. It sits for about 2-3 minutes while "verifying" then ends with a 1602 iTunes error. (see video) This is the same that occurs when restored normally, and when I've tried using my other computers.

Any more ideas?

iPhone won't reboot or restore.-2012-08-21-16.30.02.jpg