Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ssh?

Hi, I was wondering what this SSH thing is. I've been jailbroken since 5.0.1, so I'm fairly new. But I have SSH on my iPhone (not sure how or why it's there) and I was wondering what it does, because as of now it just eats up space. I'm assuming it's a tool for sharing files between devices/computers, but I'm not sure. Do I need it? Should I keep it?

And I'm fairly experienced with managing my phones file system and installing files. So what is SSH?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Just like ya said its used to transfer iPhone files to computer. Or the other way around.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,181 Times in 6,199 Posts

Thanks

Agree with bo on that. It saved me a lot of work swapping over my two iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFastSlug View Post
    Hi, I was wondering what this SSH thing is. I've been jailbroken since 5.0.1, so I'm fairly new. But I have SSH on my iPhone (not sure how or why it's there) and I was wondering what it does, because as of now it just eats up space. I'm assuming it's a tool for sharing files between devices/computers, but I'm not sure. Do I need it? Should I keep it?

And I'm fairly experienced with managing my phones file system and installing files. So what is SSH?
    SSH is "Secure Shell". As others said, it's a secure file and data transfer protocol.
    It's not taking up a lot of space. Some apps and tools you have may depend on it.

Depending on how you manage your phone's file system, you may already be using ssh.
    Removing it might cause your phone to stop working, such that you'd need to restore.

If you're "fairly experienced" it may be worth taking a little time to figure out how it actually works.

What tools do you use for filesystem management?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Agree with bo on that. It saved me a lot of work swapping over my two iPhones.
    Yeah buddy, because I mess around with Photo Shop and themeing so much I find myself restoring about once a month. Saves me so much time. OCD to the max...

Thanks

Lol...I do mine about every 2 weeks lately...drives my wife nuts...

wow...talk about redlining OCD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    wow...talk about redlining OCD
    If your gonna do it, take it to the max.........................

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    SSH is "Secure Shell". As others said, it's a secure file and data transfer protocol.
    It's not taking up a lot of space. Some apps and tools you have may depend on it.

Depending on how you manage your phone's file system, you may already be using ssh.
    Removing it might cause your phone to stop working, such that you'd need to restore.

If you're "fairly experienced" it may be worth taking a little time to figure out how it actually works.

What tools do you use for filesystem management?
    I use Safari Download Manager to install any computer files and use ifile to access/modify files

Thanks

Sounds good. Ssh is very helpful like
    We all said. need help with it let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Sounds good. Ssh is very helpful like
    We all said. need help with it let us know.
    Ok so what would I use it for, like give me a scenario where I would use SSH

Thanks

Just like themes like Bo said transfer whole folder or folders over and when ya restore from new. Just ssh it back and ya all good.
    Back up photos etc....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Some people use it all the time, some people use it occasionally, and some people flat out just don't need it. You could be one of those if you haven't figured out what it is for yet. But you never know.

I use iFile, I tend to download things straight to my phone then move the files around straight on the phone. For instance, I'll download a free theme from iThemesky on my iPhone, then I'll go into iFile and move it over to the themes folder. Whenever I restore my phone, I always run a script in mobileterminal to clear out all unused language packs to free up space. I tend to do that with iFile as well, but sometimes when I am near my computer SSH makes it quicker. Just download it straight to my MBA, SSH into my phone and transfer the file for the script directly to my phone.

It's largely for theming though. But it's good to have it available on your phone because sometimes phones crash. If it gets stuck in a boot loop bc of something you installed from Cydia that may have been interrupted or conflict with another tweak/app, you can SSH in the phone to remove the culprit. That way you won't get stuck with restoring your phone and losing all your stuff (assuming you don't regularly make backups of your iPhone).

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFastSlug View Post
    Ok so what would I use it for, like give me a scenario where I would use SSH
    SSH provides a shell. Like the old msdos shell, but on the network rather than the console. SSH lets you connect to the phone from a computer with full access. It can do everything that iFile can, plus a few other things that iFile can't.

most of the scenarios people mentioned earlier are either:

• moving lots of files to and from the device (from a PC or Mac)
      or
    • manipulating and making lots of small changes to many files on the device.

other common scenarios when SSH is handy are
    • device crashed, something broke / won't boot / misbehaving badly

If you DONT sync to a computer, or don't have a computer, or are 100% sure you'll never use your phone with a computer, and aren't interested in fiddling with the guts directly, go ahead and delete it. You'll save a few MB. Probably less than 0.03% of the storage on your phone. Maybe something else will go wrong, but maybe not. Better sorry than safe?
    Last edited by raduga; 08-15-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Some people use it all the time, some people use it occasionally, and some people flat out just don't need it. You could be one of those if you haven't figured out what it is for yet. But you never know.

I use iFile, I tend to download things straight to my phone then move the files around straight on the phone. For instance, I'll download a free theme from iThemesky on my iPhone, then I'll go into iFile and move it over to the themes folder. Whenever I restore my phone, I always run a script in mobileterminal to clear out all unused language packs to free up space. I tend to do that with iFile as well, but sometimes when I am near my computer SSH makes it quicker. Just download it straight to my MBA, SSH into my phone and transfer the file for the script directly to my phone.

It's largely for theming though. But it's good to have it available on your phone because sometimes phones crash. If it gets stuck in a boot loop bc of something you installed from Cydia that may have been interrupted or conflict with another tweak/app, you can SSH in the phone to remove the culprit. That way you won't get stuck with restoring your phone and losing all your stuff (assuming you don't regularly make backups of your iPhone).
    See I do the exact same thing you do. I guess I just dont need it

Thanks for the help everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yep you probably don't need it but like I said, it's good to have for emergencies.