+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to Jail Broken phone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello All Newbie to a JB phone here I have had an Iphone for a while and never thought about jailbreaking it untill I needed to to switch carriers. After
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New to Jail Broken phone
    Hello All

Newbie to a JB phone here

I have had an Iphone for a while and never thought about jailbreaking it untill I needed to to switch carriers. After that I still didn't really know much about it or about any of the other things I could do with it now that its JB. I just started to realize that there is a lot of cool things I can do with customization now and apps and add ons that just aren't available in the non JB format.

Question, I am on a 3GS with version 4.1 Should I upgrade the firmware and rejailbreak?

Also any suggestions on goodies to download from Cydia? I am finding it hard find cool things to download from Cydia, It just seems there is so much on there that if you don't have something specific in mind, it can be tuff to go through it all.

Any other starting tips for a JB newbie would be great. Thanks

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Are you the original owner for this phone? I see ya said about switching carriers. If ya are you can upgrade with no problem. Tweaks I would look on YouTube and just look up top tweaks of whatever. Should find a good bit on there.
    Barrel,springtomize 5.0,sbsettings all
    Are those are pretty cool.

Thanks

If you don't upgrade, you can get some cool tweaks like qtweeter and bootlace. But if you don't want those, then upgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not the original owner of this phone. I originally had an iphone then was switched over to black berry by my work. I eventurally traded the torch for a used iphone 3gs that was already jailbroke and unlocked. Why is it important wether it was mine from new or not?

EVO
    Thanks

I believe 2k1 asked for unlocking purposes because you said you switched carriers

I would suggest updating to 5.1.1 and jailbreaking with redsn0w 0.9.14b2

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Yes I did thank you sir

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure what the original carrier was locked to, but I believe it is different than the one that I am using now. My buddy told me if I upgrade and rejailbreak that I will not be able to unlock carrier, which is no good for me. I also tried to download facebook app and unable to because of my outdated OS. So are you saying I can upgrade, rejailbreak and unlock carrier, or am I not able to unlock carrier if I upgrade and rejailbreak?
    Thanks for your guys help and sorry for the slow reply, I was away on holidays

Also I have been reading up on the bootlace, and it says compatible with iphone 2g and 3g but doesnt say anything about 3GS. But from what I take you can run andriod OS on your iphone? If I download bootlace, am I getting in over my head, or is it pretty user friendly and will I be able to do stuff with it with out bricking my phone?

I also would like to know how I know what jailbreak was originally used on my phone. Also if I update and rejailbreak will I lose all my apps?

Sorry for all the questions, I just know absolutely nothing about this phone stuff.
    Last edited by jofus; 09-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jofus View Post
    I'm not sure what the original carrier was locked to, but I believe it is different than the one that I am using now. My buddy told me if I upgrade and rejailbreak that I will not be able to unlock carrier, which is no good for me. I also tried to download facebook app and unable to because of my outdated OS. So are you saying I can upgrade, rejailbreak and unlock carrier, or am I not able to unlock carrier if I upgrade and rejailbreak?
    Thanks for your guys help and sorry for the slow reply, I was away on holidays

Also I have been reading up on the bootlace, and it says compatible with iphone 2g and 3g but doesnt say anything about 3GS. But from what I take you can run andriod OS on your iphone? If I download bootlace, am I getting in over my head, or is it pretty user friendly and will I be able to do stuff with it with out bricking my phone?

I also would like to know how I know what jailbreak was originally used on my phone. Also if I update and rejailbreak will I lose all my apps?

Sorry for all the questions, I just know absolutely nothing about this phone stuff.
    For question number one, yes. You just need to make a baseband preservation IPSW with Redsn0w. Restoring to it will upgrade your iOS to the latest (5.1.1) but it will preserve your baseband so you can get an unlock and jailbreak it.

Question number two, No. You can't use Bootlace on the 3GS. They have been doing work on it, but it's incredibly slow. Here's the news on it currently: The iDroid Project - Where it presently stands - 0xDEADFA11

Question number three, there's not really a way to tell what jailbreak was used on a device. But if you update to 5.1.1, you can use Redsn0w or Absinthe to jailbreak it.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.