+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Increasing the number of email cached above 1,000

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, are there any apps out there that allow me to increase the number of emails that are cached on the iphone/ipad. I use my ipad only for work, and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Increasing the number of email cached above 1,000
    Hi,

are there any apps out there that allow me to increase the number of emails that are cached on the iphone/ipad. I use my ipad only for work, and would like to have a few months worth of emails on hand without wifi access.

Also, is there a way to say that all unread emails must be cached, even if they are older than read emails?

EVO
    Thanks

Welcome to MMi bud!

I dont think that is possible to increase it more than 1000 emails, but then again I never felt the need to show more than 50 emails

its not one of those questions that come up very often, or at all

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the reason i want this is that i use my iPad purely for work, and the only apps i really use are email, cal and evernote. It is quite annoying that i have 16GB at my disposable, but cant access all my email quickly because Apple has put an artifical limit in place.

Are there any hacks out there? Is there a jailbreak app out there that i can edit hidden attributes in iOS, such as the 1000 email limit?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

This cannot be done. I just went through the mail files, it's all server based. So there's absolutely no possible way to change it unless you hacked Apple's servers. So in the end this is not possible in any way.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SOLUTION :

i have found the solution:

1. download iFile
    2. go to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences (from within iFile, the Preferences shortcut will take you there from the Places menu)
    3. edit com.apple.mobilemail.plist
    4. modify the RecentMessageCount variable.

<key>RecentMessageCount</key>
    <string>2000</string>

I set it to 2000, and it worked fine. Needed to Respring, as the mail app wasnt rendering emails properly after a while. But all seems to work fine.

Make sure you remember to set the "Mail days to Sync" to Unlimited in the email settings.

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    This cannot be done. I just went through the mail files, it's all server based. So there's absolutely no possible way to change it unless you hacked Apple's servers. So in the end this is not possible in any way.

Thanks, but this has nothing to do with Apple servers, i'm talking about SMTP/POP emails, including exchange. The emails are already on the phone, its just that they get deleted off after a few days, all i'm trying to do is to ensure they dont get deleted from the local store so quickly.
    Last edited by guric1van; 08-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

in all honesty I did not know that was possible (the plist file part, not the Apple Server part)

Thanks for the share bud, I'm not gonna edit it, but I will keep that in mind for the future

And I agree with you about the Apple Server's part, it has nothing to do with it, the iphone's mail app uses the smtp/pop protocols to retrieve it from the google server, which is then stored on the phone
    Last edited by EVO; 08-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

UPDATE

I have found the above solution does fix the issue, there isnt an issue with Exchange, i had accidentally set the "Mail days to Sync" to 3 days, setting it back to unlimited fixed the prob.

However, the Mail app does get a rendering problem every day or so, not sure why, but the emails do not display properly in the list view. A simple respring fixes the problem, but it does keep coming back.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guric1van View Post
    UPDATE

I have found the above solution does fix the issue, there isnt an issue with Exchange, i had accidentally set the "Mail days to Sync" to 3 days, setting it back to unlimited fixed the prob.

However, the Mail app does get a rendering problem every day or so, not sure why, but the emails do not display properly in the list view. A simple respring fixes the problem, but it does keep coming back.
    So its just a temp fix pretty much....