+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4S only boots in DFU mode - restoring gives error 1601

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi! I've been lurking around this forum since it was released in the ModMyMoto days So about time I post something. I recently got myself an used Iphone 4S very
    Thanks

Unhappy Iphone 4S only boots in DFU mode - restoring gives error 1601
    Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum since it was released in the ModMyMoto days So about time I post something.

I recently got myself an used Iphone 4S very cheap. The problem is though, this Iphone only starts up in DFU mode. I've tried restoring it with Itunes on both my Macbook Pro and two HP laptops with the same error code, 1601. The exact progress in Itunes is:
    • Extracting software
    • Verifying with Apple
    • "Preparing Iphone" progress bar flashes in Itunes before being striped

After saying "Preparing Iphone" for about 2 minutes or so (haven't been counting) I get the error. My theory is that Itunes somehow loses the contact with the Iphone, but I do not know why.

The Iphone isn't covered with the warranty since the previous owner opened up the Iphone himself (or his friend, I do not know) and replaced the screen. You can see from the outside though that it's poorly reassembled, and when I opened up the back cover the moisture indicator on the logic board is red. Going to borrow some real tools and investigate the hardware tomorrow.

So, any ideas?

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etzolin View Post
    Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum since it was released in the ModMyMoto days So about time I post something.

I recently got myself an used Iphone 4S very cheap. The problem is though, this Iphone only starts up in DFU mode. I've tried restoring it with Itunes on both my Macbook Pro and two HP laptops with the same error code, 1601. The exact progress in Itunes is:
    • Extracting software
    • Verifying with Apple
    • "Preparing Iphone" progress bar flashes in Itunes before being striped

After saying "Preparing Iphone" for about 2 minutes or so (haven't been counting) I get the error. My theory is that Itunes somehow loses the contact with the Iphone, but I do not know why.

The Iphone isn't covered with the warranty since the previous owner opened up the Iphone himself (or his friend, I do not know) and replaced the screen. You can see from the outside though that it's poorly reassembled, and when I opened up the back cover the moisture indicator on the logic board is red. Going to borrow some real tools and investigate the hardware tomorrow.

So, any ideas?
    check to make sure your hosts file does not contain the entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com", if it does delete it, save the file

then try the restore again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

etzolin (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 5,844 Posts

Sounds like you may have bought a bad phone unfortunately. May have been scammed, it happens and it sux.

previous owner opened up the Iphone himself (or his friend, I do not know) and replaced the screen. You can see from the outside though that it's poorly reassembled, and when I opened up the back cover the moisture indicator on the logic board is red.
    Bad sign...

DFU; black screen
    Recovery; Connect to iTunes logo.

edit: Sorry EVO, didn't mean to bounce on your response.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

etzolin (07-11-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses!

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    check to make sure your hosts file does not contain the entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com", if it does delete it, save the file

then try the restore again
    Nothing in my hosts file, haven't needed to sign through Cydia lately.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi
    Sounds like you may have bought a bad phone unfortunately. May have been scammed, it happens and it sux.

previous owner opened up the Iphone himself (or his friend, I do not know) and replaced the screen. You can see from the outside though that it's poorly reassembled, and when I opened up the back cover the moisture indicator on the logic board is red.
    Bad sign...

DFU; black screen
    Recovery; Connect to iTunes logo.
    That would really suck :/ It only goes to DFU mode (or out of DFU) by using the key combos, haven't seen any screen activity. But if it would be a hardware damage, how come it can go into DFU mode?

Thanks

So it's stuck in DFU? or it boots and then your able to put it in DFU?

the moisture indicator on the logic board is red
    This is what concerns me besides the shoddy job done trying to replace the screen.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    So it's stuck in DFU? or it boots and then your able to put it in DFU?
    I can put it in our out of DFU whenever I want, though it will not boot normally. Wont even show the Apple logo.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    This is what concerns me besides the shoddy job done trying to replace the screen.
    Indeed, could be either sweaty hands or a real water damage. Gonna reassemble it correctly tomorrow and see if it will do any better. Doubt it though.

Thanks

Good luck, plus side is, there are plenty of parts available (eBay/craigslist) if you want to repair it as well as several members here on the forum that sell parts and do repairs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

etzolin (07-11-2012)

Thanks

Opened it up today and noticed that the logic board was burnt on the SIM tray. It also had a crack in a corner, so it's much likely dead. When I reassembled it again it didn't even get into DFU so won't even bother anymore. It will serve as a spare part phone from now on, thanks for the help