+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable Phone, Keep Data/Wifi?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Any idea how to accomplish this? Going on vacation this Saturday (July 14 2012) for a week to New Brunswick, and Rogers allows me to have Data/Texting across Canada, but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Disable Phone, Keep Data/Wifi?
    Any idea how to accomplish this?

Going on vacation this Saturday (July 14 2012) for a week to New Brunswick, and Rogers allows me to have Data/Texting across Canada, but calls only if I'm local to my area code of Northern GTA in Ontario. If I send/receive a call outside of my home area code, I'm charged $0.45, just for receiving a call, even if I don't answer it, and an additional $0.75 for each minute if I answer it.

I'd like to disable JUST the phone call support, so people calling me get something along the lines of "the customer you are trying to reach is unavailable, please try again later", while still being able to send/receive texts, and use the data plan.

Rogers refuses to turn off just the phone portion of my plan for a week, as their only options are "disable the phone completely, or keep it going and we get to charge you"

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

If you're jailbroken, you can do this internally (as in the filesystem) but otherwise no.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Green Apple
    Thanks

seems to me even if you could disable it at the phone end, Rogers will still process incoming calls and you would be charted for them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But if I disable the phone portion of the radio, then I'll be unreachable.. no?

Suggestions on where to start my search H4CK3R? I am JB'ed and not afraid of file system manipulation, ifile, terminal, etc..

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Well you can just go to N81AP.plist (it can vary by device) and in there will be all the features the phone has. Find the telephoney line and just disable it.

But I actually realized what sstrout said is true, it'll still process no matter what so doing this would be a waste of time in a way.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe I don't fully understand the telephony services, but if the radio is disabled on the device, Rogers can't send that device a call, no?

Therefor no charge.

I believe that Rogers would charge me based on "Incoming Call" ringing to no answer, or denying the call - but if I can stop it before it get's to sounding the ringtone, then that should work no?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltron View Post
    Maybe I don't fully understand the telephony services, but if the radio is disabled on the device, Rogers can't send that device a call, no?

Therefor no charge.

I believe that Rogers would charge me based on "Incoming Call" ringing to no answer, or denying the call - but if I can stop it before it get's to sounding the ringtone, then that should work no?
    That's the way O2 uk works when I'm abroad. Set a call divert to your voicemail and set it to all calls (rather than unanswered / unreachable) so your phone shouldn't ring, rather it'll go to voicemail but leave your data and sms intact.