Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need a "beginner forum" please!

Hi there-

I am new to this whole thing, and ran Absinthe 2.0 to jailbreak my iphone 4 last night. I have been poking around online all day long, installing things I find interesting and it's been....it's just been okay so far. The problem is that I don't speak "computer." I'm pretty much like this with it

So I found a theme I thought I loved and I've been trying so hard to get it to work all day long and just cannot figure it out. There doesn't seem to be much information that I can find for a step-by-step beginner's guide to anything. I have found (watched, and read) several tutorials on how to install winterboard (check), find and install a theme (check, check) and apply the settings (check.) However the one that I chose didn't work (Visio HD) and it doesn't look anything like the picture of the theme.

So I purchased and installed Gridlock (no change), FolderEnhancer (nope), and Iconoclasm (nope) and the 5X6 Iconoclasm layout. Nothing is working and I'm incredibly frustrated. I'd love to make/find a basic layout similar to the one above and be able to insert my own wallpaper. I feel like I'm close but just have no idea what I'm doing, nor am I able to decipher the tech-posts about how to do some of these things.

Please help? Is there a beginner forum on here somewhere? Is anyone bored and willing to walk me through it? I'm not stupid, I just have zero experience with this. I know what I want, I just can't seem to make it actually work! Thanks!!

Oh and before anyone asks, I did a few searches, but maybe the problem is that I'm not sure exactly what I'm searching for.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Do you have pictures of what ya have so far? And what us trying to git it to look like?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,883 Times in 6,040 Posts

Welcome to MMi.

First off a few questions. What type of iPhone, what firmware and what theme????

Is this a theme that is hosted on our site? If so, posting your specific question(s) in the theme thread would certainly get you better results.

WinterBoard works in a hierarchy, main theme should be placed on the bottom and then all add-ons above it. If the theme has add-ons.

Typically a theme comes with a "read me" or "setup" file attached to it if it is an advanced theme with widgets and revolving wallpapers etc.
    You will have to learn to either (or both), use iFile form Cydia (a paid app) or a program like WinScp for PC/ CyberDuck for Mac. These SSH client program give you root access to the iPhone file system and read me files from themes also.
    You Tube is a great tool as well as Google as you know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

PacSunMama (07-08-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Welcome to MMi.

First off a few questions. What type of iPhone, what firmware and what theme????

Is this a theme that is hosted on our site? If so, posting your specific question(s) in the theme thread would certainly get you better results.

WinterBoard works in a hierarchy, main theme should be placed on the bottom and then all add-ons above it. If the theme has add-ons.

Typically a theme comes with a "read me" or "setup" file attached to it if it is an advanced theme with widgets and revolving wallpapers etc.
    You will have to learn to either (or both), use iFile form Cydia (a paid app) or a program like WinScp for PC/ CyberDuck for Mac. These SSH client program give you root access to the iPhone file system and read me files from themes also.
    You Tube is a great tool as well as Google as you know.
    Thank you for the informative post!

I have an iphone 4 running the latest update from iTunes, so i think iOS5. The theme i am trying to install is "Visio HD" and i think it is from this community. When i did a search for the name of it, however, no results came back.

Ill see if i can attach some screenshots of the main theme front page and of how mine looked. I just re-read the directions and it seems i need a dock app and something to make blank folders too. :/ Maybe there is a better theme for me. I loved Amphbious! But when i went to look for the icons, the forum that has them is down currently.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Do you have pictures of what ya have so far? And what us trying to git it to look like?
    Thanks! Trying to upload them from my phone now but having a bit of difficulty. If I can't get it tonight I'll try again in the morning from my Mac.

The theme as pictured, and close to how I'd like it to look (I want to choose another wallpaper, until I can make my own in Photoshop)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3301.PNG 
Views:	91 
Size:	737.8 KB 
ID:	598317

And the garbled mess I eventually got after doing all the things I listed above:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3300.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	931.2 KB 
ID:	598318

looking at the instructions for it now. looks like a cool theme. i like themes full of sights. using legendary right now. love the depth and color of it...anyway, did you use folder enhancer and dump everything in it? i'll grab it and c if i can get it to work right...bbl!

neuro

Man... I tried and tried and tried... eventually I got it to be something close'ish but it's just not the same. Now I am so over this theme! Going to try a different route completely, find a theme on here with a thread going, so if I have any questions I can hopefully get reallllly specific answers. Good tactic? Hopefully!

Thanks again for all your help! I now have a few extra apps and CyberDuck, so some good came out of it!