+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is my phone bricked?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default is my phone bricked?
    I have inherited a iphone 3gs,and the first thing i did was a iTunes restore (5.1.1) even since then,its been stuck on the apple logo,i have tried the tiny umbrella etc,but still it boots up and hangs on the apple logo,could it have been jailbroken? (i think it was)

I tried a DFU Restore and that ends up in the same,apple logo and then a reboot,and back to the apple logo, During this cycle,the phone does appear in itunes and you can sync with it.

Looking at the logs using iPhone conf ultily,its appears springboard is crashing…Could this be caused by using a iTunes restore when a iPad baseband was already in place? i can search this phone using phone disk as we'll

I have tried various restore methods,but i am getting nowhere fast.

Any help would be hugely appreciated,i been trying to fix this for two weeks now and thinking i am fighting a losing battle and it could be hardware related?

With a huge thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The firmware file you're restoring with, did you download that straight from iTunes or from an external source?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi,

I downloaded the firmwire through itunes and also downloaded from a website,could their be a corruption? The inital restore was through itunes though
    Thank you

Thanks

If it's from iTunes it should be okay. Usually iPhones don't get bricked but it can happen. Do you happen to know the history of the phone? What state was it in before you restored?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When i got it was working fine (turned on fine etc) i think it might have been jailbroken (but not sure which one),but litearlly the moment after the itunes restore,it hung on the apple logo...i am wondering if there is some disc corruption or something...Really Stuck to be honest!

Thanks

Hm, I think it has the ipad baseband installed on it. That's why a regular restore isn't working. You need to make a custom firmware for 5.1.1 and use that to restore in order to get the phone working again.

What you want to do is download Redsn0w here and locate your 5.1.1 ipsw file. You can find it by looking at this guide here.

Here is a guide on how to create a custom firmware with Redsn0w: How to Create Custom Firmware IPSW with RedSn0w | iPhoneHeat

Put your phone in pwned DFU mode (with Redsn0w, there is an option under "Extras" for this), then you can open iTunes, hold shift (option on Mac) and click restore, select your custom firmware, and it should restore fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i made my custom firmwire and restored in Pwned Dfu mode,phone comes up in itunes but still got the apple logo on the screen,could one of my various attemps mucked up the baseband?
    Thank you for all of this!

Thanks

That's odd...I don't think it was any of your doing but I could be wrong haha. Let's try this, make a custom firmware for 4.1 (you can download that ipsw file here on MMi's Downloads section). Then restore to that with the same process as before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i did notice this in the logs
    ibMobileGestalt copyBasebandSecurityInfo: CommCenter error: 1:45
    Jul 5 22:34:57 unknown lockdownd[26] <Error>: libMobileGestalt copyBasebandSerialNumber: Could not get baseband security info dict
    Jul 5 22:34:57 unknown lockdownd[26] <Notice>: 2fffa000 copy_basebandSNUM: MobileGestalt failed to provide a Baseband Serial Number but returned no error (?)

Thanks

Something may be wrong with the baseband. I would like you to attempt a restore to 4.1, and if that still yields a bootloop I'm wondering if we are able to reflash the iPad baseband onto it. But I don't want to do that if the device can't take the iPad baseband, do you happen to have access to the serial number of the device? I need the first 5 digits.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The Serial number is 87016
    I did mange to get to restore to 4.1.1 in my many attempts and it still looped! I feel a fool for not posting here sooner!

Thanks

Ok, that device can take the ipad baseband. I feel like it has the iPad baseband installed and needs to be reflashed. What firmware version is the device on right now? 4.1?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

at the moment its on 5.1.1,but i can put 4.1 if that would make things easier!

Thanks

Ok, what I'm wanting to do is first trying to restore to a custom firmware that has the ipad baseband built in. If all goes well, the phone will restore and work. Then we can try to downgrade the baseband from there so you can have GPS function again, the iPad baseband can kill GPS.

Go to iH8Sn0w.com and download Sn0wbreeze. I don't know if 5.1.1 allows the ipad baseband, so download stock 4.1 just in case. But first let's try 5.1.1. When you open Sn0wbreeze, select Expert Mode. Then go to the General menu and select to "activate" then proceed, the in the Unlocks menu select the iPad baseband upgrade. Then all you do is build this custom firmware.

(If someone else knows if you can do this with Redsn0w please say so, I don't really have much experience with Redsn0w and cFW's).

Get into pwned dfu again, and try the restore to your newly built custom firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lovely thank you,just trying to build the firmware now but i get a message saying the remote name could not be resolved "applenid.apple.com" maybe the servers are down?

Thanks

? In Sn0wbreeze?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah,in sn0wbreeze maybe its my net connection or something?

Thanks

One second, I'm not sure what that means.

Are you signed into your account in iTunes and your computer is authorized for that account?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am on my mac,i am having to do it in a virtual machine,no pc to hand!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Daudi,

Would i be able to reflash the baseband like that though?