+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need help with my iPhone 3Gs

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I tried updating my iPhone with iPad base band to 5.1.it1 firmware which ended up fine, I activated the phone, and everything went okay. I had to turn it off,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I need help with my iPhone 3Gs
    I tried updating my iPhone with iPad base band to 5.1.it1 firmware which ended up fine, I activated the phone, and everything went okay. I had to turn it off, and when I tried to boot it back on with redsn0w (because it's tethered) a white screen would pop up, and then the screen would go to a faint green light and, first blue then green/grey, stripes that went from one side to the other horizontally on the bottom half, something like the paint drawing I have added.I need help with my iPhone 3Gs-iphone.png. ANY help, or advice is greatly appreciated, and I am very desperate to fix this problem. Thank you for your time.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Let's just start off by saying: You made a MAJOR mistake. With devices on iPad baseband, you don't just 'restore' or 'update' them. They can ONLY be updated via a custom IPSW. Otherwise, you'll end up with something you have which can wreck your iPhone.

If you haven't already tried it, try putting the phone in DFU mode and see what happens.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did use a custom IPSW that was made with redsn0w, and yes I have tried putting it in DFU mode, when I tried booting it back up it went into DFU mode perfectly.

Thanks

Just try restoring from there then bro.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

danielq12 (06-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did try restoring it. First in Pwned DFU mode, with the custom IPSW and I get error 28. Then in normal IPSW without the Pwned DFU mode and I got error 1600.

*Note* When the phone is in this state (with the stripes, etc.) neither redsn0w or itunes will read it, and I can put it into DFU mode again.
    Last edited by danielq12; 06-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks

It seems to be something with your security software, etc. This is what Apple says about those errors:

These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

BUT, It could be a hardware issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oh god, error 28. Why are these showing up so frequently nowadays? Ugh, okay what you wanna do is let the battery fully drain. Once you get that error 28 the first time, this is what you must first try. Simon and I were just in a thread the other day with an error 28 and the issue was resolved by allowing the battery to drain.

If you know how, you can disassemble your device and take the battery out, let it rest for 30 minutes, then put it back in. If you don't want to open it up, then I would suggest draining the battery. This can take days, maybe 5 days or so. Typically once you get the error 28, everything else you try won't work. I could be wrong, but that's what I've observed.

Edit: Be absolutely sure the battery is complete drained or it won't work. You'll just end up charging it up again when you plug it into your computer for the restore. So be sure it's completely drained.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Oh god, error 28. Why are these showing up so frequently nowadays? Ugh, okay what you wanna do is let the battery fully drain. Once you get that error 28 the first time, this is what you must first try. Simon and I were just in a thread the other day with an error 28 and the issue was resolved by allowing the battery to drain.

If you know how, you can disassemble your device and take the battery out, let it rest for 30 minutes, then put it back in. If you don't want to open it up, then I would suggest draining the battery. This can take days, maybe 5 days or so. Typically once you get the error 28, everything else you try won't work. I could be wrong, but that's what I've observed.

Edit: Be absolutely sure the battery is complete drained or it won't work. You'll just end up charging it up again when you plug it into your computer for the restore. So be sure it's completely drained.
    I completely forgot about this, lol! But I believe taking the battery out and letting it sit out for a few hours does the same too, correct? I can't help but think I read this before.

Thanks

Yes lol! I said that H4CK3R! PAY ATTENTION BRO.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

Parrot want a cracker.....

Thanks

Hahaha Mikey, you big bully.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I doubt it was a hardware because it was working fine up until I tried booting it up again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielq12 View Post
    I doubt it was a hardware because it was working fine up until I tried booting it up again.
    You're right, I don't think it's a hardware issue as well. Which is why I suggested the battery drain. If it is hardware related, the battery drain will not help anything. If it is NOT hardware related, the battery drain will resolve your issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Yes lol! I said that H4CK3R! PAY ATTENTION BRO.
    Whoopsy lol. I read the first part and started making a reply lol. Worst. Mistake. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Parrot want a cracker.....
    I don't even eat crackers... Lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is there anything else youvguys suggest I try, because I REALLY don't want to take it apart.

Thanks

Yes if you read my post, I suggested to let the battery drain. It can take 5 days or so to completely drain the battery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielq12 View Post
    is there anything else youvguys suggest I try, because I REALLY don't want to take it apart.
    Honestly, it's not that hard to take it apart. There's tutorials all over the internet on how to do it.

I seriously can't think of anything else to reccomend besides this. But we never said you had to take it apart.

Thanks

If you really want to resolve error 28, you should let it drain. Try as you may everything else, but the battery drain is the best solution I can give. Like I said, I and another moderator had just helped another member resolve this issue the other day specifically with error 28. He took the battery out himself, but it is the same effect if you just let it drain for 5 days or so.

Edit: by "letting it drain" I mean just don't use the phone. Just let it sit, don't charge it, don't use it, just let it sit for a few days.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 06-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

danielq12 (06-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

okay well I will try it and see what happens thanks a lot for your help.