Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SBSettings proven to slow down camera/crash my iPhone 4

Default SBSettings proven to slow down camera/crash my iPhone 4
    Hello,

Ever since upgrading to 5.0.1, I noticed that my jailbroken iphone 4 had been slowing down considerably/locking up randomly. The most dramatic slowdown happened while opening the camera; at times it would take upwards of 10 seconds for the shutter to actually open. Just awful. The most frequent times it would freeze up (i.e. require a hard power cycle) would be on the lockscreen, just prior to unlocking.

I did the tried and true method of uninstalling everything and testing all the jailbreak tweaks one at a time with nothing else but SBSettings installed in addition. It was a painful and slow process, and quite irksome to say the least. I kept on getting the slowdown and freezing problems. I always left SBSettings on, thinking that this tried and true tweak couldn't possibly be the reason for my problem. So hard-to-shake was my belief in SBSettings, that I didn't even think of removing it until I read this thread where a user complains of the same problem I had with nothing installed but SBSettings + unlock:

Camera App Really Slow on 5.1 3GS after Jailbreak - JailbreakQA

After I removed SBSettings, lo and behold, my phone is responsive again and my camera opens up with the usual speed of an i4, usually 3 seconds if memory is full and it's being loaded for the first time.

Now I am not saying that YOU are having problems with SBSettings. More than likely, most people are just fine, and there's something weird about my iPhone that is causing this problem. I have no idea---I am not a hacker (though I do program in other fields) and I don't know the details of what may or may not be causing this. Maybe because I had SBAdBlockToggle on and SBSettings was punishing me---I have no idea. What I do know is that SBSettings caused me personally a great deal of pain, and now I have literally a dozen or so tweaks installed (including Anicons as SBSettings replacement) with nary a problem or slowdown and my iPhone finally feels as fast as the other unjailbroken i4s I see around.

So---if you are desperate for a solution and have tried everything else, perhaps this post will help you. I tried to put it in a place where it would be most visible. Not sure if I picked the right one.

Thanks

Yeah, I've never had an issue on my 3GS and SBS on any FW...on 5.1.1 right now...usually on 4.2.1. But, I never restore from backup either... Corrupted backups can do some weird things. If u don't care about SMS messages or game data etc, try restore as a new phone, not from backup..., re JB , load SBS n see what happens...make sure u have everything backed up somehow outside of iTunes backup..

I have my contacts calendar notes synced with outlook on my pc, I drag all pics n vids out of camera roll n sync them back, all apps n music synced with iTunes of course...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 06-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Did you have a theme or something that could be slowing it down? If you got SBSettings from a secondary source (not BigBoss) then I'd reccomend you install it from BigBoss since it's always the latest version available. Secondary sources can cause big problems with that stuff.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

I would ask the OP to install SBSettings with no other add-ons, vanilla. Several tweaks include their own SBS toggles, and then there are other toggles (like auto-lock, calculator, etc)- any of which could be the true reason why you are experiencing the slow down. Up until NCSettings was released I had used SBSettings since the beginning. However, I really feel that BigBoss missed the mark with how he integrated SBSettings with Notification Center, but I digress.

The fact that your camera app is taking forever and a day to open makes me think that you must have some sort of add-on for the camera (or uses the cam) and also has a SBS toggle. Maybe even a toggle for a "flashlight"? I'm just spitballing here tbh. I think SBS gets a bad rap sometimes, like how MobileSubstrate gets a bad rap for a rogue tweak (or three).

Either way I am glad that you got your device working right. :-)

PS Isn't SBAdblockToggle the one that has a daemon running that updates the modded host file quite often? I seem to recall that toggle being on a certain nefarious repo, and while blocking ads, it just seem to get a bit bloated with autonomy that the user couldn't control.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 06-25-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

I have SBSettings running on my iphone 4 on 5.0.1 and I definitely dont think its an issue with SBSettings. If it was particular to SBSettings, everyone would have add issues. My camera app loads up just fine, sometimes the longest is 3 secs.

I know you think SBSettings may be the caused of it because once you installed it, you noticed your camera app did not lag anymore.

But remember this, sometimes uninstalling every tweak does not fully fix the issue because one or more could have corrupted the System files.

The best way to know for sure is to restore, test the camera app, jailbreak, test the camera app, install SBSettings, and test the camera app.

This will get you one step closer to determining the root of the issue.

SBSettings is a great tool, and if you truly like it, then it is recommended that you do those test to make sure SBSettings is not causing you the pain

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

It has to be a toggle or something in my opinion, SBSettings is not a memory hog according to the description from BigBoss and from my own experiences. SBSettings works just fine for me, no lag or anything. I think it could be the AdBlocker as hottguy said, I noticed when I used to have AdBlocker, I had a lot less free memory.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

I can confirm with the OP. I'm having the same problems on iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 4. I found if I visited the SBSettings settings screen the problem would lessen for a few hours.

The symptoms aren't slowness so much as the time it takes an app to launch and become intractable after launch.

I decided to uninstall SBSettings and am now in amazement at how fast my phone is working. I'll try it for a few days without SBSettings and see how it goes.

I forgot to mention, the only other toggle I had installed was the My3G toggle. This toggle is also active under IntelliscreenX.

Understandable but you can't directly pinpoint SBSettings as the culprit because you are running other tweaks

If you think it's the issue you need to run SBSettings by itself with no other installed tweaks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Same issue here with camera taking 10-20 seconds to load up, I'm gonna investigate and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    Same issue here with camera taking 10-20 seconds to load up, I'm gonna investigate and report back.
    you might want to take notes and uninstall any tweaks you may have, leaving only SBSettings to test

Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    If you go into the settings screen for SBSettings does it resolve the slowness issue?

I'm still running with SBSettings uninstalled and so far things are working well but I have experienced some occasional slowdowns. Nothing yet that wants to make me throw the phone across the room (like I wanted to before).

I'll reinstall SBSettings in a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Understandable but you can't directly pinpoint SBSettings as the culprit because you are running other tweaks

If you think it's the issue you need to run SBSettings by itself with no other installed tweaks
    I agree. The only thing I know at this point is doing anything in the settings screen for SBSettings temporarily fixes the problem. That doesn't mean SBSettings is the cause.

Another weird thing is rebooting doesn't even fix the problem.

I found out a few more things. After uninstalling SBSettings the phone ran fine for a bit but then started degrading again. Clearing out apps from memory did not fix. This time I didn't have SBSettings to get into the Mobile Substrate setting screen to fix the issue.

I reinstalled SBSettings and performance then returned back to normal. I decided to put the phone into safe mode at this point. After a few days the performance degraded again while in safe mode. I took the phone out of safe mode and performance was good again.

So what is going on here???

It is NOT memory related. I repeat. It is NOT memory related.

It seems to me the performance degrades over time. It get's to the point where it takes 10-15 seconds to open up any app. The only fix is to touch Mobile Substrate in some sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by michail77 View Post
    I found out a few more things. After uninstalling SBSettings the phone ran fine for a bit but then started degrading again. Clearing out apps from memory did not fix. This time I didn't have SBSettings to get into the Mobile Substrate setting screen to fix the issue.

I reinstalled SBSettings and performance then returned back to normal. I decided to put the phone into safe mode at this point. After a few days the performance degraded again while in safe mode. I took the phone out of safe mode and performance was good again.

So what is going on here???

It is NOT memory related. I repeat. It is NOT memory related.

It seems to me the performance degrades over time. It get's to the point where it takes 10-15 seconds to open up any app. The only fix is to touch Mobile Substrate in some sort of way.
    you may want to test this further but restoring to a stock firmware, not jailbroken, and running it for a couple days to see if the laggy app loading issue persists

I suppose I will have to do so but the idea of running stock is almost worse than it taking an eternity to load apps.

Reporting back again. Stock firmware has been really fast! Apps don't lag at launch anymore. I was surprised at first by how much better the phone was running. There has been no lag creeping back either.

I'll try to jailbreak in a few more days and run that without any Cydia apps but I'll probably be upgrading to iOS6 and then an iPhone5 before long.

once you jailbreak, make sure to do the same tests without SBSettings...

in fact, dont even run any other tweaks, just jailbreak and test without any tweaks installed

Unfortunately, I upgraded to iOS6 GM on my iPhone 4 and plan to get the iPhone 5 in a few weeks. So I'm probably done with the 5.1 JB.

However, iOS6 sure is the dullest, most boring thing ever on the iPhone 4. Especially after being used to the JB. None of the worthwhile new features made it to the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by michail77 View Post
    Unfortunately, I upgraded to iOS6 GM on my iPhone 4 and plan to get the iPhone 5 in a few weeks. So I'm probably done with the 5.1 JB.

However, iOS6 sure is the dullest, most boring thing ever on the iPhone 4. Especially after being used to the JB. None of the worthwhile new features made it to the 4.
    oh welll, back to downgrading your iphone 4 to 5.1 and testing again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast