Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Okay, I have a couple of questions. Please help if you can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Okay, I have a couple of questions. Please help if you can!
    First of all I will say I know this is my first post. I am a member of some other forums where I have 10K+ post. I'll be willing to give info when I understand things a bit better. I recently switched to iPhone from Android. I have an iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 that I jailbroke this morning. My first question: Anytime I turn my phone on from sleep mode or whatever it shows the volume. Now I can only turn the volume down a notch with the volume button. This appears to be a bug of sorts but it's effecting my volume as this morning I couldn't hear anything when I was on a call. Then it worked again but it keeps showing up and I hit the volume button down 1 click and it goes away. It's driving me crazy. Now I have this jailbroken phone So I figured I'd do some modding. I tried to apply a few different themes, rebooted my phone but they don't show up. One of them was just recently posted on a Facebook forum so I know it's not old. I have now DLed 3 theme's with no success in getting them to appear on my phone. Am I missing a step or something?

Then I grabbed the app that allows you to add a 5th app to the tool bar and that's not working either. I recently in the past few hours added Siri through siriport.ur or something like that. I got it to show up and turn on but I get the same error message every time. "I'm really sorry about this but I cannot take any requests right now"

So it appears I have jailbroken my phone but cannot take advantage of anything thus far. Nothing works. I used the newest version of redsn0w to jailbreak it. I have Cydia. When I go into Cydia it shows me all the different mods I've tried but like I said, it doesn't appear anything works. After I download the apps am I missing a step?

I would appreciate any help. Never ran into any problems like this using Android I'm trying to be patient and make this transition to iOS. It's such a different platform. I was using Linux on my EVO 3D 4G and loved it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Do you have winterboard installed? All of those tweaks need winterboard to make the themes work and five icon. Hope this helps need more info just keep on posting me or someone will answer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

Hizzles (06-10-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Do you have winterboard installed? All of those tweaks need winterboard to make the themes work and five icon. Hope this helps need more info just keep on posting me or someone will answer.
    Yes, I have winterboard installed. I went to winterboard and found my theme and the extra icon add-on and check marked both of them. I hit respring and no theme and no extra icon. So I rebooted and still nothing. Went back to Winterboard and looked and they are still both checked. It also says "(Drag themes around using handles) When I hit select themes there's no handles. Just a vertical list of different mods with a box that can be checked. As stated the two mods I wanted to try are both checked but neither do anything. What am I missing? Looks like this: Well I took a picture and inserted it below.

Okay, after typing this I was messing around with my 3GS which I just jaibroke. It required a tethered jailbrake which I did. Then I did the extras thing tethered and it popped on with a little pineapple with a bite out of it. When it came on it had the new theme so I tried to tether my iPhone 4 and do the same thing. It also turned on and now showed a little Pineapple with a little bite taken out of it but no theme and no extra icon. Also when I go to settings and look at "Profile" it now says siriport.Ru(original), siri. I installed that earlier and it comes on but she keeps telling me she cant answer questions right now.

I took a picture of my winterboard settings below. What am I doing wrong? Forgive the ignorance. The only Apple products I have ever owned are the original iPad and a handful of iPods (Now I have a 3Gs and a 4) and I just started with the modding a few hours ago.

Maybe if we can go through the steps of adding an app or mod through Cydia?

I go to what I want in the Cydia home screen in "Themes". I hit the HD Retina Themes for iPhone 4. A list shows up. I click the theme I want and in the top right corner it says "reload" under that it says "package". I hit "package"and in the top corner it says "Install" then "Confirm". Screen turns black and says "running" - "downloading _____" with a status bar > Complete > Return to Cydia - Now what? The theme obviously isn't just going to show up. Do I reboot? Do I reboot with a tether? When I reboot do I just hold the power button, slide off and turn back on? I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this operating system. I've been using Linux/Android on my other phones and they seem to be a bit easier when it comes to modifications. I'm so confused.

Aldo what do I do with Redsn0w now? I have jailbroken the phone. What do I use it for now? Do I need to connect to it to get these changed to take place? God I'm confused. Off to do more reading.

TIA

-winterboard-settings1.jpg-winterboard1.jpg

I also tried to grab "Dreamboard". The Icon appears on my Screen but when I hit it, it just flashes but doesn't open. I just went back into Winterboard and turned on Springboard because the theme I chose said it ran through Springboard. I hit "respring" and nothing happened. I am beginning to get frustrated.

Now I just tried to power my phone off So I could tether it and connect it to "extras" to see if that would help but it ust powered off and powered back on on it's own. The Pineapple is no longer showing up. I'm beginning to go crazy.
    Last edited by Hizzles; 06-10-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    5 icon dock needs winterboard? I don't have WB installed but I have 5 icons in my dock....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Ya true I was thinking of the theme i got with five icon dock.

This might be a stupid answer but when I was in your position 6 months ago I just googled EVERYTHING. You have to learn the basics because of the amount of answers that you need. Half of the answers you are looking for will be from the modmyi forums anyway. That way you can ask more detailed questions and it's easier for the geniuses to answer u. As for recommendations? -imageuploadedbymodmyi1339408029.747010.jpg

This is the theme I'm using called elite pro hd. This is a winterboard theme. BUT I would highly recommend using dreamboard! It's so simple and the themes are amazing. I use both.
    As for tweaks, there are to many to mention but 1 that I like that isn't very well known is called igotya. It's an Amesome tweak that takes a picture and acquires the location when you enter the passcode incorrectly on your device and sends it instantly to your email address. Basically i will know who has stolen my phone if it get lost or stolen. Be sure to watch videos on tweaks like sbsettings to get familiar with it. Hope I can help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bwfcrus View Post
    This might be a stupid answer but when I was in your position 6 months ago I just googled EVERYTHING. You have to learn the basics because of the amount of answers that you need. Half of the answers you are looking for will be from the modmyi forums anyway. That way you can ask more detailed questions and it's easier for the geniuses to answer u. As for recommendations? -imageuploadedbymodmyi1339408029.747010.jpg

This is the theme I'm using called elite pro hd. This is a winterboard theme. BUT I would highly recommend using dreamboard! It's so simple and the themes are amazing. I use both.
    As for tweaks, there are to many to mention but 1 that I like that isn't very well known is called igotya. It's an Amesome tweak that takes a picture and acquires the location when you enter the passcode incorrectly on your device and sends it instantly to your email address. Basically i will know who has stolen my phone if it get lost or stolen. Be sure to watch videos on tweaks like sbsettings to get familiar with it. Hope I can help
    I've been googling now for two days. I have restored and jailbroke it again. No luck. Can't get any themes to show up. I did a tethered jailbreak on my 3GS running the same 5.1.1 from the same Redsn0w folder and it worked fine. So I tried to jailbreak my phone again through greenp0ison, It appears as if it worked. Cydia showed up, winterboard showed up I downloaded a theme, applied it in winterboard, hit respring and nothing happened again. Very frustrating. Could it be some setting on my phone? It's got to be something.

This must be a problem with your jailbreak with the amount of problems you are having. I'm not very experienced with these problems but I would suggest trying to use a differant jailbreak tool. Have a look at this forum or head over to www.idownloadblog.com. Or wait for a reply from the geniuses on here