Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Is it worth jailbreaking my 4S?

  1. #1
    Default Is it worth jailbreaking my 4S?
    So I have a black 16gb iPhone 4S on 5.1.1, with the recent jailbreak out I've been tempted to jailbreak. I have been on a jail broken device since 2.2.1 and have loved all the extra features with almost no downside. Well now with the release of iCloud and OTA updates I'm hesitant on jailbreaking.
    Reasons to jailbreak
    - out of apples control of what I do with MY device
    - so many ways to customize my phone
    - really everything good about jailbreak
    Reasons to not
    - Uses Linux so I have little access to iTunes
    - No OTA update
    - jailbreak data is backed up to iCloud(not worried about getting caught, more of I don't want that jailbreak information in my phone if I decide to restore)

    I'm hesitant. If I used windows or mac it wouldn't be a problem, but since I use Linux, it's not easy for me to have access to iTunes. I have windows with iTunes, it's just super slow and a pain to open a program let alone restore a phone and put over 1000 songs back to the phone.

    What are your guys thoughts?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pop23 View Post
    So I have a black 16gb iPhone 4S on 5.1.1, with the recent jailbreak out I've been tempted to jailbreak. I have been on a jail broken device since 2.2.1 and have loved all the extra features with almost no downside. Well now with the release of iCloud and OTA updates I'm hesitant on jailbreaking.
    Reasons to jailbreak
    - out of apples control of what I do with MY device
    - so many ways to customize my phone
    - really everything good about jailbreak
    Reasons to not
    - Uses Linux so I have little access to iTunes
    - No OTA update
    - jailbreak data is backed up to iCloud(not worried about getting caught, more of I don't want that jailbreak information in my phone if I decide to restore)

    I'm hesitant. If I used windows or mac it wouldn't be a problem, but since I use Linux, it's not easy for me to have access to iTunes. I have windows with iTunes, it's just super slow and a pain to open a program let alone restore a phone and put over 1000 songs back to the phone.

    What are your guys thoughts?
    first thing I'll say:

    A IPHONE IS NOT AN IPHONE IF ITS NOT JAILBROKEN

    secondly, get a new computer, if anything shall happen and you require restoring your iphone, then you need access to a windows or mac to use itunes to restore and other applications to troubleshoot

    there are so many things you are missing out on if you're not jailbroken, plus you're constricted to Apple's standard

    dont you wanna be unique? dont you want to have your own style and not conform to Apple's?

    just my opinion...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    first thing I'll say:

    A IPHONE IS NOT AN IPHONE IF ITS NOT JAILBROKEN

    secondly, get a new computer, if anything shall happen and you require restoring your iphone, then you need access to a windows or mac to use itunes to restore and other applications to troubleshoot

    there are so many things you are missing out on if you're not jailbroken, plus you're constricted to Apple's standard

    dont you wanna be unique? dont you want to have your own style and not conform to Apple's?

    just my opinion...
    Getting a new computer is easier said this done for a non working 17 year old.
    I know what I'm missing out on since I've had 2nd gen touch jail broken 2.2.1-4.2.1, 3GS 4.3-5.1.1

    My machine has a windows partition where I can access my library with iTunes but is very slow and not a fun task. I miss all the tweaks that allow me to do what the phone should do(3Gunrestrictor) but I don't know if losing OTA updates and jailbreak information in my cloud is worth it

  4. #4
    really up to you, I can only state an opinion...

    the iphone 4s is meant to be jailbroken though, it runs so smooth on a lot of tweaks and themes

    besides OTA updates sometimes are not a good idea when you want to jailbreak an idevice always, its always best to do it from a computer via itunes

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    really up to you, I can only state an opinion...

    the iphone 4s is meant to be jailbroken though, it runs so smooth on a lot of tweaks and themes

    besides OTA updates sometimes are not a good idea when you want to jailbreak an idevice always, its always best to do it from a computer via itunes
    In the world of programming a full clean reinstall of the update is always better then an OTA update because things can go wrong because it's not a clean install.
    Thanks for your opinion. I've heard how smooth the jailbreak is for the 4S and if it's true then I mean wow! I think what it comes
    Down to is me being lazy and not wanting to deal with slow windows and bulky iTunes.

  6. #6
    Formerly known as D3@TH Technologx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    /etc/host(with blocked ads)
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    I say jailbreak use a Mac if you can it has less issues compared to windows when you jailbreak make sure the thweaks, apps, or mods are updated for you to use or you could end up in a boot loop. Yes having your jailbreak data being saved to iCloud is a pain that's where you make your own backup. A plain Jane iPhone with no jailbreak is lonely and missable enjoy the jailbreak life whil you can I know I do.

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    It is well worth it. If I couldn't jailbreak my devices I don't think I would own any.

    A jailbroken 4S is great, with it's A5 processor, it has no lag at all with themes, tweaks, etc.

    I highly recommend it.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  8. #8
    Sug Luv Super Moderator 2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    34,059
    Thanks
    1,815
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

    I'm with ya cel just wish I had a 4s to jailbreak with.

  9. #9
    I also have a 4s and I also love jail breaking. I recently jail broke mine with absinthe 2.0 untethered and thought it was awesome everything works great but the music app does not work at all. And I love to listen to music so I am thinking about restoring soon. If you don't listen to music then it doesn't matter .

  10. #10
    Sug Luv Super Moderator 2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    34,059
    Thanks
    1,815
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

    Restore from a backup an download the 2.0.2 one just jailbroke my friends this evening and everthing is good.

  11. #11
    For an example of what you can do with a Jailbreak on an iPhone 4s, see my new post: -For EVERYONE!- What's your iPhone iOS 5 Setup?

    I'm hoping more folks will get into that post and reply with their setups to give new and experienced users alike ideas of what to do with Jailbreaking. I'm actually brand new to doing this, although I've lurked through the forums and various sites for a long, long time. I'm now going to get active with it all as much as I can to help others and myself learn the ins and outs of this wonderful community and tweaks / apps.

  12. #12
    Does music work?

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    Yea, it does. So does every other app.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  14. #14
    Ok thx I'll give it a try

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    Great, tell us how it goes
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  16. #16
    Jailbroke my 4S today using absinthe 2.0.2 for Linux. The Linux tool does need some updating as it doesn't tell you weather it's done, just stays on "Preparing jailbreak data". Other then that the jailbreak was smooth, everything works with no problems as expected.
    Only thing I'm going to hate is going back to windows to do full updates...

  17. #17
    Alright I restored and backed up from ICloud. Then used absinthe 2.0.2 to jailbreak my 4s and I am not having the common music app problem. Thanks for all your help

  18. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life celeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 340 Times in 323 Posts

    No problem
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

    New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

  19. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nj
    Posts
    689
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    J.b 4s (working great for me 5.0.1)
    Jump on it what you waiting for

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pop23 View Post
    Jailbroke my 4S today using absinthe 2.0.2 for Linux. The Linux tool does need some updating as it doesn't tell you weather it's done, just stays on "Preparing jailbreak data". Other then that the jailbreak was smooth, everything works with no problems as expected.
    Only thing I'm going to hate is going back to windows to do full updates...
    Oh hell yes
    (null)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •