Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: need help: trying to recover contacts/pics on iphone 3G w/ broken screen that's locked

Default need help: trying to recover contacts/pics on iphone 3G w/ broken screen that's locked
    been out of the iphone game for a minute but trying to help out a coworker.

she's got an un-jailbroken iphone 3g that has a cracked screen/digitizer. i don't have a backup available to extract the contacts/pics she's looking for, and itunes wont let me sync the phone with my laptop since it's got a screen lock on it (which we can't enter b/c the screen/digitizer is busted.).

i've tried using iexplore, t-pot, iphonebrowser and ifunbox but none of them will work since they apparently rely on itunes recognizing and having sync'd once.

any ideas on what i can use to bypass itunes or get one of these browsers to allow me to at least get to the filesystem to pull here contacts list and media folder?

thanks guys
    JB

Why doesn't she just sync it with her usual computer? You can't do it with yours as you've correctly stated syncing with a new computer requires the password and if the screens bust you can't enter it. She's out of luck if she can't as theres no other way short of DFU restore to get rid of a passcode. If she's non jail broken you can't get access to the root file system, although you could try jailbreaking the device as it only requires You to be able to enter DFU mode to allow a jailbreak. Then you could use a tool like ifunbox? Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by unboostedzc View Post
    been out of the iphone game for a minute but trying to help out a coworker.

she's got an un-jailbroken iphone 3g that has a cracked screen/digitizer. i don't have a backup available to extract the contacts/pics she's looking for, and itunes wont let me sync the phone with my laptop since it's got a screen lock on it (which we can't enter b/c the screen/digitizer is busted.).

i've tried using iexplore, t-pot, iphonebrowser and ifunbox but none of them will work since they apparently rely on itunes recognizing and having sync'd once.

any ideas on what i can use to bypass itunes or get one of these browsers to allow me to at least get to the filesystem to pull here contacts list and media folder?

thanks guys
    JB
    so is it my understanding when you say itunes does not recognize the device meaning the computer does not detect the present of a USB device when you plug it?

for some reason, when she connects her phone her original laptop that had the phone previously synced to it; it still comes up with the error that it needs to be unlocked prior to it allowing her to use it on the laptop (in itunes).

the phone will recognize in itunes, but itunes only. i have the option to retry or cancel after it pops up asking for the password to be entered before it will add it to the "device" list in itunes. it appears the rest of the programs i tried earlier rely on itunes recognizing the phone and it being listed under the devices list before it will access them. the only exception being ifunbox which would recognize the phone but it has a similar popup asking for the phone to be unlocked prior to accessing anything.

i told her to get me the original laptop she has the sync/backup on and go from there with a backup extractor to see if i can recover anything.
    Last edited by unboostedzc; 05-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.

May be you can have a data recovery software named iFonebox,which could recover contacts/pics on screen locked iphone3G/4. You just download the trial version of iFonebox,install and lunch it on your computer,then connect you iPhone3G to computer,the software will automatically detect your device,then click" advanced mode",a few minutes later, you can view your pictures and contacts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smalllion For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (05-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 6,197 Posts

^Even though you are correct, this question was posted 2 years ago.