Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone not restoring properly, progress bar 0%

Default iPhone not restoring properly, progress bar 0%
    Hello all,

Just trying to restore an iPhone 3GS for a friend. I believe it had IOS 5 on it but began crashing and then came up with the recovery screen.

I am attempting to restore using the latest software however iTunes just says 'Waiting for iPhone' and the iPhone just has the apple logo with an empty progress bar that doesn't appear to move, I left it overnight and still nothing!

I have tried restoring in both recovery and DFU mode but with no success. I have tried two different cables and computers so running out of ideas.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rackers View Post
    Hello all,

Just trying to restore an iPhone 3GS for a friend. I believe it had IOS 5 on it but began crashing and then came up with the recovery screen.

I am attempting to restore using the latest software however iTunes just says 'Waiting for iPhone' and the iPhone just has the apple logo with an empty progress bar that doesn't appear to move, I left it overnight and still nothing!

I have tried restoring in both recovery and DFU mode but with no success. I have tried two different cables and computers so running out of ideas.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    what iOS are you trying to restore to?

does the 3gs have any shsh blobs saved?

Thanks for the quick reply!

iOS5.1, no blobs saved .

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just to add, I did try and use the 'Fix Recovery' option in TinyUmbrella which as far as I can tell ran the greenp0ison exploit, but it didn't work because the phone had iOS5 on it. Would this be stopping a restore?
    Last edited by Rackers; 05-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.

you cannot restore to 5.1 because the 3gs does not have 5.1 shsh blobs saved

in order to have had the blobs saved, you would of had to open CYDIA (if it was jailbroken) when Apple was still "signing" it. But since Apple is now "signing" 5.1.1, you are too late..

the blobs (along with aptickets) allow Apple's server to "authenticate" the firmware (iOS 5.1) that you are restoring to, so without it Apple cannot authenticate it as being genuine..

that is the reason why Apple is showing "waiting for iphone"..

I have tried to restore to the lastest firmware, I have let iTunes download it but it is still showing 0%. Any ideas?

Just to add, TinyUmbrella doesn't show me any version info and this is the screen that it seems to 'freeze' on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -download.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Rackers View Post
    Just to add, TinyUmbrella doesn't show me any version info and this is the screen that it seems to 'freeze' on.
    so you're trying to update to the latest version 5.1.1 and its freezing at the progress bar is that correct?

That is correct.

Thanks

If you're trying to update to the latest version, no need to put the phone in recovery mode or dfu mode, just leave it on the home screen and click Update in itunes.

Did you already try that?

The phone will only boot into the recovery screen with the iTunes logo, it won't do anything else.

Is it possible the NAND is somehow corrupt preventing the restore happening? I can't seem to find this issue replicated anywhere else!

Thanks

I apologize for the delay, some things took my time..

if you havent resolved the issue, check to see that the HOST FILE does not contain a host entry with "gs.apple.com", this bypasses the Apple's server when people are trying to restore to not the latest version..

if that has already been achieved, try to restore on another computer if possible using the latest iTunes version,

we need to try to eliminate some potential causes before assuming its a hardware issue