Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone - fuel guzzler?

Default Iphone - fuel guzzler?
    Hi there,

I moded my phone on Sunday only so don't have much experience with iPhone.
    This is a bit confusing factor; coming from world of Blackberry where battery charge last 6-7 days easy, I was suprised when iPhone gave me "low battery" warning after 2 days only. I sent several SMS messages, listened music for about 40 minutes and made 2 short phone calls. This is kind of bad surprise. What is your experience? Is there a way to reduce consumption? I read somewhere something about OpenSSH being culprit for such behaviour.
    Thank you for advice, bye
    Zack

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZackP View Post
    Hi there,

I moded my phone on Sunday only so don't have much experience with iPhone.
    This is a bit confusing factor, coming from world of Blackberry where battery charge last 6-7 days easy, I was suprised when iPhone gave me "lo battery" warning after 2 days only. I sent several SMS messages, listened music for about 40 minutes and made 2 short phone calls. This is kind of bad surprise. What is your experience? Is there a way to reduce consumption. I read somewhere something about OpenSSH being culprit for such behaviour.
    Thank you for advice, bye
    Zack
    OpenSSH is always 'listening' for a connection. If you're not using it, you should unload the deamon. I use UIctl for that. OpenSSH and WiFi (when its enabled) I found are the biggest drains on the battery. When turned off, my iPhone lasts for days.

Eurisko, can I call you or you call me, I am at 905-785-1109 now.

Zack

Thanks

Eurisko, can I call you or you call me, I am at 905-785-1109 now.

Zack
    Not from work unfortunately, but til then. Run installer.app, go the Erica's Utilities and you'll see UIctl. Install and run it. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see "com.openssh.sshd". Click on it, you'll get some options, click on "unload -w" and then "Do it!". You'll see "com.openssh.sshd" turn red, that means its disabled and OpenSSH is no longer running.

When you want to start it again, just follow the same routine but instead select "Load -w".

Thanks for help. I'll try to do that, just printing instructions. I am not very good in this things.
    I understand what WiFi does and makes sense that it burns some electricity being on-line, but what SSH is for? I thought I'll need it for mod process only.

Zack

Thanks

Thanks for help. I'll try to do that, just printing instructions. I am not very good in this things.
    I understand what WiFi does and makes sense that it burns some electricity being on-line, but what SSH is for? I thought I'll need it for mod process only.

Zack
    SSH is basically a Secure way to Telnet into the command line interface of your iPhone. But, like unlike WiFi, its always running and waiting for you to connect. This runs down the battery because SSH is using the same type of wireless usage as WiFi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What functions does OpenSSH serve? If I disable it, will I still be able to get online, etc?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4cer View Post
    What functions does OpenSSH serve? If I disable it, will I still be able to get online, etc?
    You can still get online, you just can't connect to your phone. Most people use OpenSSH to connect to their phones using Transmit (for Mac) or other file managers so they can manually upload stuff to the phone like Ringtones, graphics and other stuff.

Since you're not doing it that often, there's no need to keep OpenSSH running all the time.

Eurisko, I don't need to do any fancy stuff with my phone. Sync it through USB with my MAC, make calls, SMS, maybe rarely browse using WiFi (or Rogers bill would kill me). That is all. I don't need ring tones or wall papers. That is for advanced users, I am just a user.

Zack

Thanks

Eurisko, I don't need to do any fancy stuff with my phone. Sync it through USB with my MAC, make calls, SMS, maybe rarely browse using WiFi (or Rogers bill would kill me). That is all. I don't need ring tones or wall papers. That is for advanced users, I am just a user.

Zack
    Then just leave it disabled or remove it. You can always reinstall later if you wish. You're with Rogers too? Get the Mobile Internet plan, 5MB for $5 monthly.

Eurisko,

Yes I am with Rogers (Mississauga), have 25 dollars Internet plan that was adequate with Treo and Blackberry since I almost never tried to go to see Internet pages. They looked like s... anyway. Now iPhone is completely different story, with WiFi it's fast and pages look good, you can actually see www pages.
    Are you suggesting that I just uninstall SSH? Will it remain as a available package or I will have to AppTap it again if I ever needed it?

Zack

Thanks

Eurisko,

Yes I am with Rogers (Mississauga), have 25 dollars Internet plan that was adequate with Treo and Blackberry since I almost never tried to go to see Internet pages. They looked like s... anyway. Now iPhone is completely different story, with WiFi it's fast and pages look good, you can actually see www pages.
    Are you suggesting that I just uninstall SSH? Will it remain as a available package or I will have to AppTap it again if I ever needed it?

Zack
    Can't give a definite answer as to how long the Community Sources keep their files online, but if you uninstall you should be able to reinstall through the AppTapp down the road. If not, OpenSSH is available through other means as well.

OK, it is working now! Thank you!
    Last edited by ZackP; 10-03-2007 at 05:55 PM.